Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Dragonfly on layers !

This is the fab sketch over on Truly Scrumptious that I've followed for this card, the optional element was 'fly away'. I'm also putting this card in for the following challenges:

I started by making the layered background for the dragon fly. This is the technique of inking your card and stamping over it. I used Crushed Olive and Faded Denim Distress inks then I stamped with Elusive Images stamps in Peeled Paint. The words are from a Paper Artsty stamp set. Then I've dragged Gesso over the top wiping off the excess with a baby wipe. Once dry I've then stamped with black Stazon some more grasses around the edge. The dragon fly is a Rubbadubbado stamp, which I've stamped in black Stazon, cut out, then watercoloured using Broken China and Shabby Shutters Distress inks. I've then rubbed some Tim Holtz Distress Stickles over the wings and covered the body with Glossy Accents. The photo hasn't picked it up but the wings really sparkle when the light catches them. The embossed piece is made with the Stylised Flowers embossing folder and I've blended Crushed Olive and Peeled Paint Distress inks over it.

The papers are all Stampin' Up and I've blended some more Distress inks over them to grunge them up a little. I've done a little paper piercing on the striped piece and added one of my last remaining, precious, Marah Johnson brads (only 2 silver and 1 bronze left !).
Well I was all set to go out tonight for a meal, but when I arrived home 'C' wasn't feeling too good, so we've postponed until Thursday. In a way I was half pleased as this card has been in my head all day, and you know what it's like when you've got an idea and just need to get on with it !

Thanks for looking
Sue

15 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Can I ask what Gesso is and what do you use it for (I am not an Arty stamper - am not creative enough!) I see your lovely easel card made top 5 in the Passion for Promarkers challenge this week, it would have been a crime if it hadn't! Congratulations!
    Lindsey xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning Sue. I love how you created the background and stamped over it and your dragonfly is stunning. A really elegant card. Thanks for joining us at TS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super stylish card Sue, love your colours.

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  4. fab card, good luck with the GDT app :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so pretty!!! Thanks for joining us at TPE this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for popping over to mine! I will blog the little time thingy later this week so thanks for sharing that too. WOYWW is Whats On Your Workdesk Wednesday - follow the link on my blog and join in - Julia & co will be happy to snoop on another workdesk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous card,the dragonfly is stunning thankyou for joining us at fab'n'funky this week
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, I love the dragonfly! Thanks for taking part in the MTTC challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Sue this is stunning, the dragonfly is beautiful...thanks for joining in with the Truly Scrumptious challenge
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous work, love it! Thanks for joining the MTTC Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty card Sue. Love the colours you've used and the image also. Thanks for joining us this week at TS. Hugs Michele x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful card! Love the dragonfly and colour combo.
    Thanks for joining the Fab'n'Funky girls this week x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome sketch...you did fab with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love what you've done here Sue! It is really gorgeous. The stamps used and the colors on the focal image panel are marvelous and that dragonfly is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!