Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Isabella's Sketchbook challenge 9


The challenge this week at Isabella's Sketchbook is to do something in the colours of our country (in my case, red, white and blue) with a Memorial Day theme.

In the United States, Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer so that usually brings to mind picnics, going to the beach, relaxing with family and friends or spending time in the garden. The actual meaning behind the day is for remembering those who lost their lives in service of their country. As we don't celebrate this day here in the UK, I decided to go along the memory theme and the summer theme.

I'm also putting this card in for the Friday Sketchers challenge too.

I've shaded the image with ProMarkers and cut it out with Labels 3 Nestabilities. The papers are Basic Grey and the flowers are punched from the same, using up some small scraps.



The sentiment is from the Bloom 'n' Grow stamp set by My Minds Eye. The edge punch is a Martha Stewart and the gorgeous swirl is one of the new Tim Holtz Sizzix dies (I really love this die so you may be seeing quite alot of it !). This is quite a simple card for me, but time was short but I was fairly pleased with the end result.

Hope you manage to join in with us at Isabella's this week.

Thanks for looking
Sue

9 comments:

  1. Heard today that it is the 70th anniversary of Dunkirk so a memorial theme is mosst apt. Gorgeous use of colours as always a fab layout and the main image is adorable. Just another great make Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the divine vintage feel of this card Sue - it's beautiful. Such a fun image and you've used it so well. And those beautiful accents with the punch and the flourish set this off superbly. A great success.
    Hugs
    Peri xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the deep, bold colors and the vintage lettering on your sentiment. Wonderful simplicity on the image and the flourish is a perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning card Sue. Your colouring is just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew that red, white and blue would look so good in such a wonderful vintage card. The image is perfect for summer.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue I love the rich vintage feel of this card and your coloring makes is divine! I love these 2 beach beauties, that image was my first ever Isabella image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous colours, love the whole feel of this card and that swirl!!!! Gotta have that! Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did a beautiful job with your Memorial Day card. it is just lovely! don't they look as if they are having such fun together?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, This is such a perfect card for the challenge and so beautifully colored, too! So sorry that I am just getting around but I did want you to know that I LOVE your card!! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!