Friday, 4 February 2011

Altered box !

This is another first for me as it's a large project that has taken me a few days to finish off. I rescued this box from work as it was heading to the recycle bin. As you can see I had already started to get stuck in when I realised I hadn't taken the all important before shot !


I covered the entire box with Gesso so that I had a blank canvas to work from, it also makes it easier to apply colour on top.


Once the Gesso had dried I then used Kaiser colour acrylic paint in Pistachio and Olive. I used a Tim Holtz mini mask and also a mask I made myself using a Quickutz embossing folder which I cut the diamond shapes out with a craft knife.


The flowers are all from a Katzelkraft set of stamps as is the wonderful flourish stamp. The text stamp is also by Katzelkraft as is the large butterfly. The butterfly was stamped onto vellum then I coloured the reverse with ProMarkers. I stamped the butterfly onto the box and then stuck the vellum butterfly on top. The most amazing thing happened when I glued it in place, as I only put the glue down the centre spine the wings lifted themselves, it really looked like it was about to take off ! The smaller butterflies are punched once out of card and then once out of vellum.


For the lid I covered it with Tim Holtz crackle glaze, then I die cut flowers, leaves and the flourish using Tim Holtz dies out of Grunge Paper. The rose is made using a PaperArtsy die called Grunge flower. This is only my second attempt at this technique so I was quite pleased with it. The first time was using metal but this time I used Grunge Paper and coloured it with Spiced Marmalade and Barn Door DI.


I also stamped the very outer petals of the rose with a flourish Katzelkraft stamp. In hind sight I'm not sure that it's worked that well. The gorgous feet are from Tim Holtz's Ideaology range, it took me ages before I plucked up courage to stick them on, and then I made sure that my other half helped me !

I'm also entering the following challenges :

17 comments:

  1. I think "transformed" box would have been my description! It's really beautiful Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I just LOVE,LOVE this box!! You have done a great job!!! So many sweet details on it!! have agreat weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Sue this is a whole new level of crafting, it is gorgeous. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. A total transformation! Fabulous work Sue.

    Love Lynda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whawwww so wonderfull project, looooove it
    thanks for playing this week at paperplay this week
    hugs
    céline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sue! I am speechless! This has to be the most amazing thing you have ever made! It is spectacular! I love the flower. I have never tried grunge paper, do you have to wet it to be able to mould it? Oh I neeeeed a box like this!
    Have a great weekend
    Linds x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fabulous project. I love it :)
    Thanks for joining us at Sew many cards challenge this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, this is soooo gorgeous, I just love the stamps and embellishments you have made. One stunning box that anyone would be proud to own.
    Take care.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo, awesome new look, girlfriend! Doesn't Karen do a great job? I love it!

    And I love this fabulous box - it's beyond beautiful. You did a fabulous job on it - I'm sitting here drooling! I need to check out the Katzelkraft stamps. I've never heard of them but they are lovely on your box!

    Thanks also for the heads up the other day on the Stamp Man win - I was tickled about that one!

    Hope you are having a great weekend.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sue!! This is just beautiful!! I wish that I could 'alter' things like this but I just find it way too scary!! Fabulous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! This is stunning!!!! I love the colors, the design, everything! Thanks so much for joining us at Papertake Weekly and hope you join us again soon!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a transformation this is adorable and what a talented lady to give a boring box such a new lease of life. Have become a follower and put you on my side bar.
    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so gorgeous, it is hard to imagine that it was once trash.

    Thanks for joining us at Sew Many Challenges.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue, this is stunning!!! I said, STUNNING!! Beautiful colour combo and the rose is awersome!! Hope you're well! Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!!! Sue this is amazing I just love it. You have really inspired me today to get off my backside and play!!!
    Hugs
    Clare
    x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!