Friday, 2 December 2011

The Stamp Man Challenge

It's time for the next challenge over at The Stamp Man which is to create an ornament. When I saw what the challenge was going to be I didn't feel very inspired but as I played around with different ideas it started to come together ! The prize for the challenge is £10 to spend at The Stamp Man, and if you've not seen on my side bar, there is a prize draw for all orders placed before the 15 December.

So, onto my project, I thought I would show you a before and after shot. The wooden piece above is an off cut from a staircase spindle. It's been kicking around my craft room for ages, but in true crafting style, I didn't feel I could throw it away as it looked too useful ! So, I persuaded my other half to cut it to length and then bore out a hole in the top that was candle size.

I realised after I'd taken this photo that the candle is rather banana shaped ! I think I need to find a different one to light. I started by coating the wood with Bundle Sage Distress Stains. Then I cut the mat from the largest Fleur de Lys Nestability from Grunge Paper. It didn't cut all the way through so I had to go round it with my scissors. I then used Forest Moss Distress Stains on it.


The holly leaves are cut using the Tim Holtz Holly Branch die and I've used DI on them and then Crackle Glaze. The panels around the wood have been stamped using the Mini Holidays stamp set. The letters are cut using the Vintage Market die and then using Barn Door DI on them and coating them with Glossy Accents.


The numbers are made using the Mini Reindeer & 25 die and just inked with DI. I've put our advent candle in the holder now and it had it's first burning last night ! So now it's official........it's Christmas !

I hope you get chance to join us and look forward to seeing what you create !

6 comments:

  1. Sue, this is beautiful. I love your idea and it is so festive. I may just have to give it a go. Have a wonderful day. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sensational, Sue! The colors are so pleasing to my eyes and you are such a master with the DIs. You created a really gorgeous ornament!

    Sorry I don't get by much anymore - my blogging time is so limited and I hate that. My shop keeps me incredibly busy - I love it, but it but do have to sacrifice blogging time to keep up.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing use of that piece of wood Sue and such a clever way to use it. Gorgeous colours and elements as always.
    Have a great weekend.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful Sue, I love it!!!
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous Sue and brilliant to see the before and after! I love what you've done with the colours and the die cuts, it's very festive and you'll enjoy it even more now that you're using it. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Sue, that's a fantastic piece of art. Your candle holder looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!