Sunday, 5 February 2012

One snowy afternoon......

I hope you're all staying warm with the latest cold snap we're having. I have to say that the weather gave me the perfect excuse to hide away in my craft room and I took the opportunity to make this canvas which had been in my mind to do for some while, but I'd not found the time for it. I also saw that the latest challenge for Crafty Individuals is Spring and that got me thinking...


I started by using acrylic paints on the canvas, I streaked it rather than painting it wholesale, I like the effect much better. As the canvas is on a wooden frame it was difficult to stamp on to. I rather liked the smudged effect I got when I stamped the Crafty Individuals swirl with Olive Archival ink. I used a stencil for the flower and used acrylic paints to stencil it.


The words are all done using a Ten Seconds studio mould. I picked up one or two when LB Crafts was closing down and I just love the way they've turned out. I used acrylic paint to distress them, a sea green colour and then black. The egg timer, which is from a Rubbadubbado set, is stamped onto metal and I've then used a paper stump to make the timer part a little rounded. I've used watercolour paper for the rest of my stamping. I've stamped different DI's onto my craft sheet and then spritzed them with water and 'swooshed' the watercolour paper through it. The watercolour paper sucks up the colour beautifully, and then I've stamped onto it once it was dry. The face is another Rubbadubbado stamp from a set I bought when I first started stamping. It's layered onto a piece of mountboard that I've painted with acrylic paint and also used PaperArtsy Acrylic Crackle Glaze ( I love this stuff!). The 'Time is a Dressmaker' stamp is also from a PaperArtsy set and is mounted onto a piece of a page from an old book which has been covered with Old Paper Distress Stains and then I've used Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain DI around the edge. The flowers and leaves are Wendy Vecchie Art Parts and I've covered the large flower with paper that's been stamped with a Wendy Vecchi stamp and the smaller flower has been treated to some more Crackle Glaze. They're mounted onto a small canvas that is covered with Tissue Tape. The leaves and the other flower are painted with acrylic paint and then stamped over with Wendy Vecchie stamps. The small flower has a bottle cap in the centre. The little bird is from a PaperArtsy stamp set and I've stamped onto Shrink Plastic, cut it out and then shrunk it !


The coupled cycling is another Crafty Individuals stamp and is stamped onto watercolour paper that's had the same treatment as the other pieces. It's mounted onto a piece of a page from a book, which again has had the same treatment as the other pieces. The gorgeous filligree corner pieces are from the lovely Linda's Etsy shop and I've used Lettuce and Pesto Alcohol Inks to colour them. The butterfly is cut from Grunge Paper which is covered with Crushed Olive DI and then stamped over using a Wendy Vecchi text stamp and I've added a spinner to the centre.

That turned out to be a bit of a mammoth post ! I hope you didn't get too bored !

I'm entering this project into the following challenges:



22 comments:

  1. Oh I just love your style!!! great colours here. lainey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fresh spring colours Sue and what a great canvas for a snowy day - a promise of warmer weather to come.
    {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a piece of art! Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love your work Sue, really stunning xx

    Shelagh x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your canvas is fabulous, love the colours, spring is one its way when looking at your project.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous canvas, with so many gorgeous details to study, such a lovely fresh colour and the metal embellishments are delicious. This would take me about a week to make, can't believe it only took you an afternoon. XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue
    A canvas I could sit and study for an age with the detail and textures.
    Wonderful use of CI products.
    Thanks for joining the CI Challenge and sharing this inspirational piece of art.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous creation thanks for entering at Divas hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful canvas Sue. Lots of lovely details and a gorgeous colour, perfect to brighten up a snowy day.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning Sue, so much work but a fantastic finished piece.

    Thanks so much for joining in our Free and Easy February at Allsorts this week, good luck and hope to see you again.

    I think you card would also fit the Bingo theme at our sister challenge Penny Black and More

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm missing words, that's a breathtaking piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your artwork is stunning. I love your ideas. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - a totally awesome piece of art, Sue! Love the way the canvas looks where you stamped on it and your metal work is fantastic. And of course I love seeing how you used the filigree metal corners! Aren't they fun to alter? Thanks for the shout out on my shop too.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG the inspiration which flows from your pieces is just amazing.

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A real work of art Sue with a lovely Spring feel. Thanks for joining us this month. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. That really is quite gorgeous :)
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the effect of this, I love 3D work! Fab images and gorgeous colours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, fabulous canvas, love the metal, love the colours, just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. c'est très agréable à l'oeil bravo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving this beautiful work of art Sue. Thank you for entering it at Happy Daze, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful, thanks so much for sharing with us at Happy Daze, good luck :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So much to look at its lovely :D
    Thanks for entering the Happy Daze challenge this month :D
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!