Sunday, 8 April 2012

Nautical at Fashionable Stamping Challenge !

Happy Easter everyone !

It's time for the next challenge over at The Fashionable Stamping challenge and this time the lovely Paula has set the challenge of Nautical. I have to say that this really stumped me, and the first attempts went in the bin ! But then I saw this little box that I'd saved from being thrown away just sitting on the shelf waiting to be altered ! I even remembered to take a photo before I altered it....well almost, I'd only painted the lid before remembering !


So, I painted the whole box with Gesso giving it 2 coats and letting it dry completely.


Then I painted the box with a pale blue acrylic paint and used a baby wipe to knock it back a little. Then I used a darker blue and sponged it around the edges and corners just swiping it over the surface and using the baby wipe if it went too dark. For the bottom of the box I used Olive green metal and a Ten Seconds Studio mould. I then sanded the surface of the metal and used Alcohol inks in Aqua and Denim. Around the top of the box I stamped the shells with a Rubbadubbado stamp onto white cardstock and stamped twice with the same ink application to get a paler second impression. The metal studs are nail heads that I've coloured with Espresso Alcohol ink. I stamped the words onto the tape with Cobalt Archival ink, the stamp is by Katzelkraft. The fabulous nautical charm is from Linda's Funkie Junkie Zibbett Boutique. For the feet I used Tim Holtz Hitch Fasteners.

On the top of the lid I used a piece of metal that I scribbled all over using a Ten Seconds Studio plastic nib tool then went around the edge with a wheel. I used acrylic paint to colour and distress it. The ship is by Tanda Stamps and is stamped with Cobalt Archival ink onto a piece of card that I've dipped into Distress Ink that's been spritzed with water on my craft sheet. The seagull is a Rubbadubbado stamp, stamped with Cobalt Archival and then cut out.

I'm entering this project into the following challenged:
I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge.

25 comments:

  1. This is just fabulous Sue, I love every detail on it and the colours are gorgeous. A delightful altered box.
    You could also enter this into the Unruly RAQ for sponging. http://unrulypaperarts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/april-reader-art-quest-1-sponging.html
    I hope you have a lovely chocolatey Easter Sunday.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.M.G....this is what I'm talking about "WOW" "not a card!!" This is just stunning, such a great deal of work...wow again!! Thanks for joining us at Creative craft challenges xoxox Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic alteration, love all the interesting details.
    Have a Happy Easter.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Sus, a fabulous alterd box, love all the details and metal.
    Have a lovely Easter.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, what a stunning creation! I love all the detail and colour. Happy Easter Sue
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous,love the image and great details.

    Thanks for sharing with us at Anything Goes.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic box, Sue! The metal and fabrics are great details! Love this! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue
    This would be perfect gift for a man to hold small change or cufflinks, do men still use cufflinks?
    The metal on the top is a wonderful addition.
    Wishes & Happy Easter.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, what a gorgeous box, I love the image and the whole box looks brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous box. Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Challenge.
    Hugs
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've created a fantastic altered box. Really a little treasure box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous Sue. Love the textures on the base and the stamping and embellishing are just gorgeous.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous box, love all the elements and the colours are so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you have made a really cute little nautical box. Nice details. Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Challenge. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, your box is just beautiful! Love the colours, so beautifully made! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing, I love your little box, all the details are so interesting. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome little box on the details and the colors. :)

    fitness advertising

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful box! Love the nautical theme!

    Thanks for questing with us at UPA!

    Don't forget to come back and vote for your favorite entry on the 16th!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sue! Your nautical box is a dream! I love all the texture and rich colors you incorporated. Bravo! Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sue cool Sue...I love everything altered! I love your design and theme...fab color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome! Love what you have done altering the box. Thanks for sharing at UPA

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful, Sue, so glad to see it in the Unruly Art quest!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not in a position to view this website correctly on opera I think there is a drawback

    Stop by my web-site; why am i not getting pregnant

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!