Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Alter it at Frilly and Funkie !

We've flown through another 2 weeks so that means it's time for the next challenge over at Frilly and Funkie. It's my turn to host the challenge and I chose 'Alter it! ' I have really fallen in love with altering different, ordinary items. I just love how they can look so totally different from their original state.

We've all got ordinary, everyday items in our homes that would benefit from some love and attention, right ? So, this is the challenge, take an ordinary item, doesn't matter whether it's been bought especially to alter or if you've got something sitting on a shelf that you've had your eye on just waiting for the right moment. Using your craft products, transform it into a piece of art,  let your imagination run wild ! Alter it! 

For my project I chose the wooden box that I keep my alcohol inks in. I've been looking at it for ages, thinking what I could do with it, so this challenge was the perfect time to go for it ! 



I started by giving it a good coat of Gesso, then a coat of brown acrylic paint then a coat of black acrylic paint. Then I sanded it, mainly along the edges so that the brown acrylic paint showed through the black (I rather liked it just like that!) 
I then made the metal panels to cover the bottom part of the box. I used a Ten Seconds Studio mould and rubbed Black Stazon ink directly over the raised part of the metal. For the word 'inks' I hand drew the letters onto tissue paper and then used a scoring tool to draw the letters onto the reverse of the metal. I did some freehand doodling and then used the Pearl Mixative to highlight the letters. I think that letters are something I need to practice as they didn't have quite the impact I was after.


Then I made the top panel and I used Speciality Stamping Paper for the first time. I have to say it's not quite what I expected BUT I love it ! The Spritz and Flick technique is amazing on this paper ! So, I blended DI over the background piece and stamped using the Stampin' Up Friends background stamp using Archival Sepia ink. I also used the butterfly from the Artistic Outpost Flower Market stamp set. I then added some Tissue Wrap across the diagonal, scrunching it up and sticking it down with Claudine Hellmuth Multi Medium Matt. 


I tore a page from an old book and distressed it with DI's. The main image, which is from the Flower Market stamp set, was masked off using a Post It note then stamped over with the music stamp from the Artistic Outpost Ephemeral Backgrounds stamp set. I then cut it out using a Nestability, watercoloured the image using re-inkers and then blended more DI around the edge.



I stamped the small flower and butterfly from the Flower Market set and then stamped the sentiment over the top. The butterfly is my second attempt at the Shattered Stains technique, definitely 'more is more' when using the Crackle Paint.


The flowers are cut using a combination of the Mini Tattered Florals and the Tattered Florals dies. I was inspired when I saw Linda's flowers recently to not make a rose but just die cut the flowers and then use my Melting Pot. The little metal flowers in the centre of 2 of the flowers (I ran out!) are from the Funkie Junkie Boutique as is the gorgeous metal butterfly. I dyed the Venise Lace, which is also from the Funkie Junkie Boutique, using Antique Linen reinker which has been spritzed with water. The swirls are cut from Grunge Paper and dyed using Wild Honey Distress Stains. The filligree metal corners are also from the Funkie Junkie Boutique.


For the panels that go around the top half of the box, I used Speciality Stamping Paper again. I blended DI over it and stamped using the small butterfly and flower from the Flower Market set and distressed the edges with my scissors. 


Finally,  I added a Tim Holtz lock to the front and also Tim Holtz feet (well not literally his feet, but you know what I mean!) 

Remember there's a $15 gift voucher to spend in the Funkie Junkie Boutique and with prices already very good it's got to be worth entering.

I'm also entering this project into the following challenges:

20 comments:

  1. Hi Sue
    I spied this over at F&F - a stunningly beautiful piece of altered art.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divine Sue! You really out - did yourself! Beautiful detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, this is spectacular! So many gorgeous elements on every panel! You have inspired me to pull out my melting pot as I just love those flowers! I have an old box from my Dad and have wanted to alter it. Wonderful box!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, stunning, beautiful, divine, spectucular...yes, they are all correct, and so much more! FABULOUS, AWESOME, I could go on and on! WOW!!! All the technique and the whole design is a wow! I think you might be a funkie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Gorgeous Sue, what a wonderful project. You cannot believe it was a plain wood box..Beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing at MAWTT this week.
    Hugs Mau XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Sue, how wonderful is your altered box, it is amazing. You have used fabulous techniques and materials to transform it, what a difference. I love it.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sue, you created a wonderful treasure box, perfect for this alcohol inks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic this box. It looks totaly different.
    Thank you for playing with us at Craft your Passion.
    LG Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a real stunner Sue, what a transformation I love the embossed panels totally yummy, you've really inspired me to have another go with the metal . xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is gorgeous, what a lot of work you put into it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow this is fantastic,gosh the detail in this is just amazing,bless you for playing at anything goes,this week hugs Cherylxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome box!! I totally LOVE this so stylish!! Would have loved you have seen some progress photo's too! And thanks for sharing your fab tip too! Hugs Samantha ~ Top Tip Tuesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, your box is totally gorgeous! Love it, especially all that awesome metal work. I'm intrigued by your letters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You created a spectacular new look for your inks. I love the metal especially! Super TIP too...often forgot this one in the past.

    LOVE your box redo...so amazing. :)

    Thank you so much for playing along with us at Top Tip Tuesday!
    Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips and don't forget our Caught Our Eye winner post too!
    Hugs to you,
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning creation... it amazes me!

    Thanks for joining in the challenge at Anything Goes.. hope to see you again soon.

    Hugs
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  16. great vintage project I love this - thank so much for playing with craftyourpassionchallenges - hugs Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue, this is an absolute masterpiece! You know how much I love metal work and you did a totally amazing job on it. Everything about this box is totally exquisite. What a joy it will be to see every day holding your alcohol inks! You totally ROCKED this altered challenge and Marjie is right, you are definitely a cross-over FUNKIE!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG what a fantastic way to dress up this box! It is just so so pretty! Love those legs on it!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Top Tip Tuesday! Hope to see you back often:0)

    Hugs;
    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG this is AWESOME!!! LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it!!!

    Thanks for joining in with us over at Top Tip Tuesday, thanks for sharing your Top Tip with us too :)

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!