Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Altered metals at Frilly & Funkie !


The challenge this time over at Frilly & Funkie is one of my favourites and that is altered metals ! The very talented Linda is our host for the next 2 weeks and this is what Linda has to say:


I love using metals in my card making and mixed media.  For this challenge use metals, but you must alter them somehow.  You can use alcohol inks, acrylic paint, embossing powder or any other medium you choose.  You can even dabble in rusting the metals yourself.  Have some fun and let's see your altered metals!



I picked up one of these Triptych's at the local garden centre and decided it was perfect for Linda's challenge. I bought a gorgeous 10 Seconds Studio mould from Lin Brown's shop when it was closing down last year and I'd been itching to give it go. The dress form, flowers and zip are all from the same mould. I've used Alcohol Inks; Caramel, Stream and Wild Plum and then I've gone over the top with white acrylic paint to knock the colours back. The background stamping has all been done with Sepia Archival ink using Tim Holtz's Haberdashery set and Wendy Vecchi's Fashion Style & Art set. I've also used a mask on the centre panel and used Squeezed Lemonade DI.




I've stamped the TH needle book stamp onto some Crinoline and frayed the edges and layered it onto some Burlap. The little cotton reels (which I think are so cute!) have been wrapped with embroidery threads.


For the letter 'S' I've used the fantastic Tim Holtz Wordplay die (love this die!). The panel that I've mounted the letter onto is the centre from one of the frames on the TH Tag and Book Plate die. I scribbled into the metal of the oval panel then I've given both the letter and the panel the same treatment of alcohol ink and acrylic paint, but for the letter I've also used some black acrylic paint for some contrast.




The zip has been mounted onto the TH ruffled ribbon. Both of the side panels have been embossed using the Bubble Texture Fade and I've rubbed some Tea Dye DI over the top. All of the sewing embellishments are from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique.


I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge.


















12 comments:

  1. An amazing art work, love how you combined all details and colors. Really an unique master piece!
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    Das ist super geworden, einfach großartig!

    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sue, that's a breathtaking piece. So many wonderful details, I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous and what a cool design! Love those multi colored metals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and piece of art. I especially love the texture of the dress...you say this is a Second Studio mold? love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, the first word that came to mind was, "WOW!!" Love all your altered metals, so gorgeous, and the sewing theme! So clever to use a triptych! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a work of art. Sue, you never fail to astound me with your creations. Love everything about it. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Sue, I have that dress form and not used it yet too. You have inspired me.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh lah lah, Sue!!! This is stunning. I can't decide whether I like the dress form or the flowers more.... they're absolutely breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue, this is so gorgeous! I keep looking at it, and discover more beauty the longer I look.

    Something else, have you seen the new stamps for Katzelkraft (Nine put a message up up on DT Katzelkraft) and asks us to post the new stamps and the message about reduction to our blogs. Have you seen that? I don't know for sure what all that text means, so scared I put it wrongly to my blog... my french is so bad! Could you help out on this?

    I came up with this:

    Until Sunday 22nd of July you will get reduction for rubber, in the Katzelkraft online shop.
    15% reduction for rubber up to an amount of 30 euro.
    20% reduction for rubber with amount of 30 to 100 euro.
    25% reduction for rubber with an amount over 100 euro.

    NOTE! You will find all promotional codes when you order what's in your shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, Sue. What a feast for the eyes you have created here. So many fabulous details and embellishments. I love all your altered metals - so many colors and textures! Super job on the altered metal challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a glorious project. Saw it over at Frilly and Funkie, and NEEDED to see some close-ups!! Just superb with all the altered metals, delicious embellishments and details.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!