Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Artist inspiration !

We've zoomed through another 2 weeks which means it's time for the next challenge over at Frilly & Funkie. This time the very talented Anita Houston is our hostess and has challenged us to take our inspiration from one of four famous artists !

This is what Anita has to say:

Let's pay homage to any of the four big Renaissance Men (or Ninja Turtles...lol) who have inspired us all at one time or another - Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello,  Raphael. Show a project depicting any one or more of their works, tell which it is, and who created it.

This certainly did get me thinking, but that's what a challenge is all about !


 I decided to take my inspiration from DaVinci and his Mona Lisa. I bought a gorgeous set of Vintage stamps from PaperArtsy and this image just leapt to mind ! I stamped the image with black Archival ink and then masked it off. Then I used a piece of torn paper to sponge DI over the image to create the background. I then stamped the flower image while the mask was still in place. I used Tattered Rose and Antique Linen Distress Markers to paint the face and the hand of the image. I created the frame using a Nestability and thick cardboard. I painted it with acrylic paint and used PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze. It didn't crackle as much as I'd hoped, but I was still happy with the finished result. I used the page from an old book to mount the main image onto.



 The background was made using the blocking technique with Peacock Feathers (my new favourite colour!), Gathered Twigs and Shabby Shutters DI. I then stamped using Peacock Feathers DI with the Tim Holtz stamp from the Papillon set. The flower is made using the Tattered Flowers DI and I've cut it from Crinoline which I've dyed using Antique Linen and Scattered Straw Distress Stains.

I'm entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge - Hey Girl and also Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and look forward to seeing which artist inspires you!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Sue this is a stunning piece. I love the main stamped image and torn papers/masking and distressing are my favourites. Hope to participate in this fabulous challenge. TFS and crafty hugs. Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful challenge, and this is a great take on it... your stamped woman really does have that same elusive quality, and the gorgeous blended colours are beautifully set off by that frame (love the text in the background layer of the frame!)...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fabulous card with great texture. The frame and flower are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! Gorgeous coloring and I adore that flower! So pretty!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, great take on this challenge! Love the image and how you framed her! The flower looks fabulous with the card! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This image is stunning, and definitely has that Monaesque feel! I totally love the way you've framed her and the flower is fantastic!!!! Totally gorgeous and inspiring piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sensational work on this challenge, Sue. I love your take on the Mona Lisa! That stamp is fantastic and as always, your work on the stamped background is amazing - love the frame and torn book page too.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh the vintage feel of this card is stunning, love the flower at the bottom... thanks for joining us at Simon Says Challenge blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job Sue! Love the image, it was perfect for this challenge! Everything else is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous interpretation, inspiration and techniques Sue. Love the whole design of this.
    Happy days
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! Such pretty colors! Thanks for linking up to the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful card, Sue! I love your Paper Artsy girl inspired by Mona. The crackle is terrific as are all those layers and the block background. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What I love most is how intense this project is. There is so much detail, and yet it is not cluttered and doesn't feel busy. The colors, the overall design - I love every element! Thank you so much for sharing, and for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this Sue...the frame sets it all off perfectly, and the colour round the edges is a beautiful contrast to the browns!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!