Sunday, 23 September 2012

Alter it with FSC !

Welcome to the next challenge for The Fashionable Stamping challenge. The lovely Silvia has challenged us to alter something. This challenge is superbly timed as the altered item I'm sharing is a book that I made on the recent 2 day workshop with the lovely and uber talented Lin Brown.



 The book is a hardback book that I sanded and then stuck the embellishments to. The letters of the word 'life' are made from Grunge Paper and so are the two pieces of laurel leaves. The letters for the word 'my' are grunge board letters mounted onto squares of grunge board. Then I added some Ferro texture paint and dried it with a heat gun. The whole cover was then painted with black Fresco Finish paint and dried with a heat gun. The word 'artful' is made from Tim Holtz Game Pieces. They've been turned over so the red side is stuck to the book and then the flat side has been painted with Fresco Finish paint and then stamped using an alphabet stamp set.


 Then Treasure Gold was used to age the cover, this stuff is absolutely gorgeous and is at the top of my wish list ! Some Ideaology was added to the letters and a Curio Knob to the cover.


Then we moved on to the inside of the book. Now this is a new thing for me, I've long admired the gorgeous work that Lin has been doing on her journal pages. I've used lots of Fresco Finish paints, stencils and stamps. I was also introduced to washi tape !


One of the techniques that Lin showed us was 'bumping' which is how the shadow is created on the flower. I need a little more practice at this as I got a little carried away with the amount of paint to use which is why the centre is a little squishy !


The beautiful piece in the little recess is a cold resin piece, which unfortunately due to me being held up in traffic, I didn't get to make so Lin very kindly made this for me.

This is an ongoing project and I have 2 other pages that have been started and I will share when I've finished them.

I'm also entering this project into the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge which is Tape it Up (I've used Washi tape).

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.

23 comments:

  1. Oh Sue! This is just stunning! What a treat to have attended this class! Thank you for sharing it iwith us. Hope all is well. Best wishes, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the FSC site and it just jumped right out at me... What an amazing creation!!! Totally love the inside pages too. That must have been one fantastic workshop!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUNNING
    What more can I say, just wish I had been there.
    Happy Sunday.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue WOWSERS this is magnificent, a real treasure. Beautifully altered, would love to go on one of Lin's works, maybe one-day. Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, your book is amazing! The cover alone is truly beautiful but then you open your book up and WOW....those pages are just stunning! I totally love the bumping technique that you did to create such beautiful images. Love the green color that is primarily the background of your pages. Love the stamping, the tape and the dimensional element you've added to your page. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your lovely book with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue...words fail me! this is nothing short of incredible. So arty and grungy and stylish all wrapping up into one. It must of been a very inspiring class! A truly amazing alteration
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - this is fantastic and I love everything about it, outside and in. I bought some Archival ink with more stuff on order from Linda (shhhh!-don't tell my hubby) and am going to try a wee bit of what you so kindly taught me this week so stay tuned. Just don't expect this level of awesome.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Sue, LOVE this, such textures!
    What a fabulous time you must have had making this.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Sue - this is completely glorious! Your cover is just sensational for colour and texture... adore your lettering, and thank you so much for the tip on the game pieces. I got some in a job lot of stuff from ebay and they really don't excite me as they are - but this is a fabulous way to make the most of them! As for the inside - I know the images are more modern, but it still somehow reminds me of those amazing illuminated manuscripts, with all that text and those intense colours. Wonderful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowee Sue! What a stunner and the paint effects on your cover look totally amazing. The antiqued effect is so realistic and the inside looks gorgeous too.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Sue... this is absolutely stunning, inside and out. Love how you did the cover, especially. Those 'artful' letters are awesome as is every other component. Welcome to art journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that's so beautiful - love it inside and outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is stunning! Love the cover with all those great grungeboard pieces and the cool finish. The inside pages look wonderful too. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another WOW from me Sue, beautiful project! T%he cover is so tactile and beautifully vintage and I love the inside, gorgeous colours and I love all the details
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool, that's a fabulous project. The altered book looks fantastic, great metal look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fabulous Sue. This is very inspirational the cover is fabulous TFS Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue, this is fantastic! I love the black and golds and how you altered this book! Oh and that door pull is a brilliant touch! That bumping technique is really cool! Wish there were classes like this near me! Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is spectacular!! Looks like beautiful aged metal. Have to look up that 'bumping" technique", too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue, this is stunning! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really made a gorgeous book.. shall I send you my address? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Sue, what a great alteration of this book...The outside is so amazing!! Compliments...

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!