Wednesday, 16 January 2013

A bit of something different....

Well I hope you're all managing to stay warm in this cold snap we're having here in the UK. I know it causes disruption but I do love to see the frosted trees and landscape, and I love to go for walks in it too. 

The card I'm sharing today I made for my sister's birthday before Christmas. I always like to do something really different for my eldest sister as she's quite arty herself and I feel I need to do something out of the norm, so to speak. 


I've attended a few of the lovely Lin's classes as well as the ArtsyCraft week ends, that have sadly finished now, and one of the things that I loved was painting onto fabric. Well, actually, there were loads of things I loved, but this is just one of them ! The background was made using Distress Inks and stamping with the Classics #3 Tim Holtz set using second generation stamping. I then stamped the text, without using a block, over the top. I used the same text stamp, which is a Katzelkraft stamp, to make the background panel. The hinges are made using the Tim Holtz Hardware die and I've cut it from metal and distressed them with acrylic paint. The main panel is made using another stamp from the Classics #3 set and I've stamped it onto white cotton fabric. I heat set the ink and then set about painting it using PaperArtsy Fresco Finish paints. I've not got a wide selection of colours, so I had to mix some to create colours that would blend together. It's very important to dry each paint colour before you start the next section otherwise it starts to bleed into one another and gets very messy ! I frayed the edges and then added some Old Gold Fresco Finish paint.




I've made the flower using the Tim Holtz Mini Tattered Flower die from Kraft Glassine paper. I've screwed it up and then rubbed Walnut Stain DI over and added the little metal heart which I picked up at The Bead Scene when I attended one of Lin's classes. The gorgeous lace is from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique, which is now open again !


I'm having a bit of a paint splurge at the moment so you may well see a lot more in the next few posts !

12 comments:

  1. Sue, this is incredible! Love all the artsy effects and coloring. Your sister will adore this! Adding the hinges is a great touch! Hope you are having a great Wednesday! You are brave to walk in the cold, not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply sensational.
    The colours are so pure and the embellishments hit the right note.
    Yes, it is quite cold, isn't it?!
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really amazing, Sue! I love your fabric painting, such beautiful colours colliding, and the aged elements - the key, the booktext, and that glorious flower - give this a wonderful medieval look. I love it, and I'm betting your sister will too!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the coolest thing! Love the bright colors and the way the stamping and paint look on fabric. This is a seriously WONDERFUL piece of work - bravo! Your artsy sis will love it.
    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, this looks fabulous, love the stamped fabric.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh, LOVE this paintwork and the fabulous choice of stamped image. Now that's how to make a card to be proud of! Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, this card is beautiful! I think you did a fabulous job mixing paint colors...never would have known you did. I'm sure it was well received by your sister! If someone had given that card to me I'd be carrying it around with me all the time so I could keep touching it and looking at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your lovely message earlier Sue, I really appreciated it! It's is so beautiful and I bet your Sister loved it! I love the effect of stamping and painting on fabric as you have the textural elements as well and your colours, stamps and designs are superb, Hugs Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card, Sue! Love all the text and the bright colors vs the brown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the artiest cards ever - I'm sure your Sister is treasuring it. Absolutely sensational piece Sue. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue you've created a wonderful card with so many fantastic details. I'm sure your sister love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic card Sue, love the painting on fabric looks wonderful, your sister will love it. XX

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!