Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Follow your muse !

It's time to kick of the challenges over at Frilly and Funkie for 2013 and I have the honour of hosting the first one of the New Year ! So, now that the festive season is over and we're all getting back to normality, it's the perfect time to let your 'muse' wander free and see where it takes you. This could lead you down the route of journalling, altered art or trying something you've never done before. Just make sure to let us know in your post where your 'muse' has led you ! Most of all, have fun !


I decided to let my 'muse' wander down the path of doing the things I love the most (stamping, using metal and paint) while also making something that I will use.  I am always desperate for stamp storage and so I decided to make a home for some of my Artistic Outpost stamps. I started by cutting 2 pieces of mountboard and then I ripped up some 7Gypsies Paris collage tissue paper and stuck it down with Multi Matt Medium. I stamped images from the Artistic Outpost Paris Exposition stamp set onto tissue paper and stuck them down in the gaps of the 7Gypsies tissue paper. When it was dry I gave the boards a coat of watered down Fresco Finish paint so that the stamped images were knocked back a little. I also stencilled over the top using more Fresco Finish paint and I dry brushed some more paint around the edge and then stamped over the top using the Tim Holtz Fabulous Flourish stamp set.


You can see more of the stencilling and stamping on the back cover.


The hinges, key and lock are all cut from metal using the Tim Holtz Hardware die. I've then added detail using the teflon tip metal tool, covered them with Brown Shed Fresco Finish paint and then with black acrylic paint. The Brown Shed shows through the black and gives it a really great antiqued effect. I've used the same technique on the filigree metal embellishments too. The word 'create' was made using a Ten Seconds Studio mould and I've also given it the same treatment as the rest of the metal.


The roses were made for a previous project but I didn't need them so they'd been hanging around my craft desk looking for a home. They weren't the right colour so I painted them with gold Fresco Finish paint which has given them a slight sheen but they fit in perfectly with the metal. The lace is the gorgeous May Arts crocheted lace from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique, which has now re-opened and there is 10% off everything through January 15th.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the main blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous work.


16 comments:

  1. A really wonderful make, love all the layers in the background and the colours are gorgeous! A wonderful make Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this piece!!! The background is fantastic, love how the tissue, paint and stencils all work so seamlessly together and the metal and metal look embellishments are out of this world!!! Stunning all round!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm officially in love with this Sue. Feel the need to break into a Dervela Kirwen style deep voice and say "This isn't just any storage. This is Sue C storage, made with the finest materials and lavished with care and attention to detail." And what a fantastic theme to start the new year. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue the word create looks amazing, can't believe you made that, that's awesome. Maybe I need to checkout those plates. This project is so cool and loads of great techniques too. Wonderful. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was für eine tolle Karte, Sue.
    Die ist so wunderschön geworden, und die vielen grandiosen Details sind super.
    Es sieht total spannend aus, es gibt soviel zu entdecken...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, and wow again!! Your muse certainly lead you into so me sensational territory! Just plain gorgeous background creation -the stamping, the tissue paper, paints, everything is totally yummy. But the stars of the show are the metal pieces - I am totally in love with them. I would really like to see a tutorial on how you created the texture on the pieces cut with the TH hardware die - totally AWESOME! Thanks so much for hosting this fun challenge.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazingly, masterful way you have with stamping, metals, paints and your wonderful creativity!! Wonderful patinas, textures and the best metal treatments! Thanks for hosting this fabulous challenge Sue~ a really great idea!!! Hugs, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to kick of the first challenge of "2013" at Frilly and Funkie! This is gorgeous, Sue! Love all the texture and stamping! Happy 2013! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous project Sue.
    I love the metal effects.
    Hugs
    Sheila-x-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, Sue - this is just stunning - one of my all-time favourites of yours. The CREATE piece is just amazing - so that's what you do with the Ten Seconds Moulds is it?! Fabulous metalwork throughout...

    Is there a particular kind of wallet you use to store your stamps, or just on thick acetate sheets? Got to do something about mine some time soon, so I'd love to know!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Sue just a fabulous creation, love all the details, especially the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A brilliant binder Sue, your muse certainly led you on a spectacular journey of colour, texture and images. Love it.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, this is gorgeous!! I'm so in love with this idea for stamp storage! I'm definitely going to make one of these. You cover background has so much detail thanks to all of the layers and I love that Paris Exposition stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Sue... this is just stunning in every way! Love how you've layered up all those components, especially the flowers on Linda's filigree pieces. BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous stampstorage you made and great use of embellishments! =)
    Thanks for your comment on my challenge entry!
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing - so inspiring! I have come over here from my first entry to the Frilly and Funkie challenge to have a peek and say hello! From Laura x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I'm receiving I've had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!