Sunday, 20 January 2013

Mini metal tutorial

We're definitely in the grip of some very cold, snowy weather here in the UK at the moment so it's perfect for hiding away in my craft room!

I made a project recently where I used a lot of metal which I'd distressed and altered to fit with the vintage look I was after. I thought I would share how I did this today, the technique was taught to me by the very talented Lin Brown and I absolutely love it ! If you check out Lin's blog there are more tutorials on how to work with metal that you can browse !



First of all die cut the shape you want to work with from metal, this is a flower cut using the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers die.


Using the teflon pointey tool from the Ten Seconds Studio basic tool set, I then go around the edge of the flower to add some detail. I do this on a soft surface as this lets you make more of an impression in to the metal than on a hard surface.


To create lots of detail on the flower I then scribble using the teflon pointey tool, again on a soft surface.


This is what the flower looks like when I'd finished scibbling !


Next I used a metal working wheel, from the same Ten Seconds Studio set, to go around the edge of the flower. I actually did this on an acrylic block, but would have been better on a softer surface to make more of an impression.


To start distressing the metal I've used the little wire brush which scratches the surface of the metal.


To start and age the metal I use the Fresco Finish Brown Shed acrylic paint. As this colour is one of the more opaque colours it works really well over the metal. I gave it a generous coat using a piece of wet 'n' dry foam.


I let the paint dry slightly and then dab some off using some kitchen towel.


Then I cover the whole thing with black acrylic paint, and again let it dry slightly before dabbing some off.


As the paint sinks into the recesses of the metal you get the Brown Shed showing through as well as the black paint.

I've used this flower on a project that I'll be sharing later this week, I've also made some leaves using the same technique to go with it.

I hope you're staying warm if you've got cold weather but also finding time to get crafty !

11 comments:

  1. Fabulous flower and great way to achieve the vintage feel, looking forward to seeing it in situ.
    Cold and snowed lightly most of the day today, but not such a thick covering as we had. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic tutorial Sue. Love the effect those tools have on the metal and it's a great idea to use acrylic paint on top of the metal too. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with Jenny - a fantastic tutorial, and a wonderful finished flower too... Need lots of little poky tools on my wishlist now!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous flower. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, the flower looks fantastic.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! I have been dying to see how you did that. You do the coolest work with metals, which I absolutely adore. This is amazing - really beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so beautiful!!! I love how you work the metal, Sue. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, that you for this tutorial! Love what you did with that flower and now I need more tools!!! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks for the tutorial!!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial gorgeous flower xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!