Monday, 28 January 2013

Playing with Fresco's !

I was trying to think of something witty for this post but I couldn't think of anything ! So, on to the project instead ! I bought one of the cheap Ikea mirrors ages and ages ago and, having a little time on my hands at the week end, decided to dig it out and dabble with my Fresco Finish paints. If you've been on the PaperArtsy blog recently you will have seen not only the fabulous guest designers but also the wonderful video tutorials that Leandra has done. They show how to use these gorgeous paints and explain the differences between opaque, semi-opaque and translucent.



This is what the frame looked like before I started, I've used masking tape to cover the mirror so it was protected while I was dabbling.


I didn't take step  by step photo's and I wish I had done now as this is so different from when I started ! I used Ferro Texture Paste through the Crafter's Workshop Mini Bliss stencil. I then gave the wood a coat of Guacamole Fresco Finish to start with. As it's an opaque it covered the wood beautifully. I then started to build up layers and blending the paint with Cut 'n' Dry foam. The colours I've used are - Haystack, Pumpkin Soup, Hey Pesto and Brown Shed. I used the Mini Chicken Wire stencil with Hey Pesto in places and some Crackle Glaze to add some texture.


I put some Brown Shed in to a mini mister with some water and sprayed the corners without the swirls. I then started to stamp ! I've used PaperArtsy stamps and the large flower is from HP1109. I've painted the flowers with Fresco Finish paints too. The word bloom is from the Petals - Plate 4 set and I've stamped it on metal, used a wheel to add detail around the edge and a ball and cup tool for the four corners. I've then covered it with Brown Shed (fast becoming my favourite colour!) The little tags on the bottles are also stamped onto metal and given the same treatment.


The bird cage is stamped onto acetate and I've used a technique that I was shown at one of the first ArtsyCraft week ends I went on. I've used Brown Shed to paint the reverse of the acetate along the bars of the cage. Once dry I've then painted over the whole cage, on the reverse, with Snowflake that I've mixed a little Haystack into. Before this paint dries I pressed it onto some black card, and the paint acts like glue and sticks to the acetate. I've glued a small piece of Ideaology chain above the cage and also added some Filigree corners. The sentiment is from the HP 1204 set and I love it !


Here you can see the bottles from the HP1109 set and the tags too.


Once I was happy with the paint colours I used Classic Treasure Gold around the edges and over the raised areas of the swirls. I think the above photo has just about picked up the shine. I do love this stuff and it seems to be featuring on everything I do at the moment !


18 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous, I love the colours you chose, and also the stamps you've used. The videos are just great, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really lovely Sue I must dig out one of those frames - like you have one I bought ages ago. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Sue this is absolutely stunning - loving everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue.........this is absolutely fabulous :-) I love the colours and the texture paste is amazing. What a stunning transformation. A piece to treasure for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing frame Sue! Love your mix of colours and textures on this. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so beautiful, what a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous transformation Sue, you have really given this the PaperArtsy treatment and produced a wonderful frame. Love it.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue, AMAZING a really fabulous alteration, love all the textures and stamping. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word... a total triumph, Sue - this is just beautiful... perfect colours, stamping, distressing - a big old WOW from me!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will you come and teach me a Fresco class? LOVE this....PINNING! Amazing texture and love the images...oh the color! Fabulous frame work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a breathtaking creation, love every detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue, this is a breathtaking frame! I love what you did with those paints and sponging them on is such a soft touch! Absolutely beautiful in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Sue, this is gorgeous! Love all the texture through the stencil and your combination of stamps plus that birdcage is fantastic. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue...I have just purchased some fresco paints so I am now off to see how to use them!!! I love what you have done to this frame. You have added such fine colour and great texture.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue, I love what you did with this framed mirror! It's a beauty! I have a few of those myself that I should do something with one of these days. I'm very intrigued with the Fresco paints and Ferro paste. I'm going to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue....I LOVE your mirror.
    I have a pile of these upstairs and now I wish I had the time to play with one.
    Hugs
    Sheila-x-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! I LOVE THIS MIRROR! I have an Ikea mirror that I wanted to do something with. I saw some ideas but didn't use any of them. Now, this, this speaks to me! How I so badly wish you had step by step pics for a total novice like me :) I will pin this for inspiration and see if I can give it a try. Many thanks for sharing. Your layering techniques are amazing, I gotta learn to layer like this :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!