Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Spruce it up !

It's time for the next challenge over at Frilly and Funkie and this time the lovely Rebecca has chosen 'Spruce it up!' Here's what Rebecca has to say:

Take a look around your desk or workspace and the things on it that you use to organize, communicate and run your life. It's amazing how we stop really seeing those everyday items!  Think of calendars, birthday/anniversary planners, writing implements, checkbooks, iPads, index card files, cell phones, file folders, etc..  Then, set yourself the challenge of making one of those 'plain jane' items into something that makes you smile, every time you use it!

I have to admit I struggled with this one as I don't use any planners or calendars (apart from electronic ones) so I looked around my craft room and spotted a box that I use to keep some of my stamps in. It was tucked away at the back of a shelf hidden from sight, so I decided it was perfect to have a makeover !



This is what the box looked like before I gave it a coat of Fresco Finish paint.


I then used my Gelli Art plate with lots of stencils and pressed the box on to the plate.


I used lots of Fresco Finish paint to stencil and stamp over the box. The flowers are stencilled using Ferro texture paste.


I've stencilled and stamped on all sides of the box, using Freso Finish paints to build up layers of colour.


The text stamp is from the Tim Holtz French Marketplace stamp set (my favourite text stamp!). I used the 'bumping' technique on the diamond Dylusions stencil to create the shadow. 


The letters on the front of the box are cut from mount board using the Tim Holtz WordPlay die, covered in Ferro texture paste, painted with Fresco Finish paint and when dry I've rubbed Treasure Gold over them.


The metal lace is made using a Ten Seconds Studio mould and I used the technique that I shared here. The little flourish is by Melissa Frances and I painted it with Fresco Finish paint and edged it with Treasure Gold.


The metal flower is the one I made a few days ago and I've added a Filigree flower to the centre and punched a small circle of metal, given it the same treatment as the rest of the flower and glued it to the centre. The leaves are cut using a PaperArtsy die and given the same treatment as the flower. 


The butterfly is cut using the Tim Holtz Mini butterflies die from metal and I've added some wire for the antenna. To finish off I've used Treasure Gold over all the raised edges and around the edges of the box too. 

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and make sure you hop over to the main blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous work. 

I'm also entering this project into the Eclectic Paperie challenge which is to alter a box.



22 comments:

  1. What an amazing makeover Sue. Love the gelli plate background and those stencilled flowers. I'm also totally in love with your metal flower and butterfly. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Sue, your box is AMAZING and you have done a fabulous makeover, loving the colors and the amazing background fabulous. The butterfly and flower are my favourites woww thanksss for sharing Sue, hugs Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thosis wonderful! Love the texture youbhave created on your letters and the background you have created is full of painty layers and makes a great base for all those yummy textural elements! Another fab make ! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing crafter, Sue. This box is off the charts wonderful. What a beautiful piece to have to store your stamps in. Love the way you built up your background design but of course my favorite is the metal work - totally fabulous!!! Super piece to inspire our readers for this challenge at Frilly ad Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. COOL!!! What a fabulous design! I love that you are going to use this...fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a little upset with you because when I saw this my jaw dropped and hit my desk so now thanks to you and your incredible box, I have a big bruise - LOL. This is a wonderful makeover and like Linda I love, love, love the metal work. Once I find some tools, I can try this because I discovered some metal sheets in a tube hiding in my credenza. SUPER!!!
    Hugs,
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Sue! What a gorgeous transformation! Love all the inky goodness and texture and yes, that metal work is incredible! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful makeover Sue, the textures, colours and techniques are fabulous as are your wonderful metal pieces. I am sure you will be picking those stamps up more in the future just to get the box out.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, what a stunning box you've created! I love all the texture you've added with your letters and flowers (and oh man... the metal butterfly and flowers took my breath away). Thanks so much for joining in the Altered Boxes challenge at eclectic Paperie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue that is a truly stunning makeover you have created!!loving the texture and I want to pop my hand through and touch it....gorgeous ...
    Thanks for joining us over at eclectic paperie !!!
    Hugs
    Tracy
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a stunning transformation, it looks fantastic.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowee, Sue...What a gorgeous transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous transformation! Love how it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, a wonderful box - looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, you turned that box into a real treasure!!! Love the texture on the letters and your choice of colours very much!!!! Very, very inspiring!!

    Greetings from Vienna,

    die amelie

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous, I love the colours you've used and textures you created. Beautiful make over.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Completely gorgeous, Sue! I love the stencilled texture paste and the textured lettering, fab colours, and that amazing flower - wow! Great to have you play along with us at eclectic Paperie!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning creation, Sue! Wow...love every single bit...Really beautiful! Thank you so much for playing along with the eclectic Paperie eTeam Picks challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is simply stunning Sue! So very creative! Thanks for your kind words on my Blog today too. Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for playing in the Altered Boxes challenge at eP!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is truly fabulous! I love the colors you chose, and all that gorgeous metal art!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!