Saturday, 5 January 2013

Step x Step - Gift Box

Today is my turn for the Saturday Step x Step over at Frilly and Funkie. I have discovered on my crafting journey that the more I learn the more I want to add to my projects, which causes a problem when it needs to fit in an envelope ! So, what I'm sharing today is a simple gift box that can be used not only for gifts but for those cards that are a 'little' too large for an envelope.



The first thing I do is to work out how large the box needs to be and also how high.



To make sure I get it right I draw a very simple sketch so I know I've worked it out correctly ! For this box I needed it to be 3cm high so I add 6cm to the size of the base. For the lid I add 0.5CM to the size of the base, this makes sure that your lid will fit over your base.


I then use a ScorPal to score at 3cm from the edge all the way around both the base and the lid, and then cut to where the score lines cross.


Using a bone folder, fold over all of the edges and also the one cut edge at each corner.


I then use a little squirt of Glossy Accents and some clips to hold all the corners while they stick together. Make sure you fold the cut piece at each corner inside the box for a neater finish.


I then painted both the lid and base with black acrylic paint.


When the black paint was dry I then painted the box with PaperArtsy gold Fresco Finish paint, which is translucent. This allows the darker colour to come through, love this effect !


I used the Tim Holtz Baroque die to cut a piece from chipboard for the lid.


I covered it with different coloured acrylic paints and then used crackle glaze before adding the gold paint. You can't see it on the photo but there are some very fine cracks in the paint. I then went round the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.


Because the gold paint has a matt finish it's perfect for stamping on and I've used Artistic Outpost and Tim Holtz stamps with black Archival ink.


To finish, I've added some crocheted lace and gold ribbon.

I hope you've enjoyed today's Step x Step and I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year !




10 comments:

  1. Your altered box turns out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour tones Sue...a fab box!
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous box and it looks like wood in the first photograph. Love that Fresco gold paint..........really stunning effect. Thanks for sharing Sue

    Best Wishes

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great make and I love the effect of the paint! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a life saver! I spent two days at my desk and ruined countless sheets of paper trying to figure out something like this. Thank you for sharing :)
    Your box is stunning!
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant and gorgeous, Sue! What a truly great idea for those oversized cards! Have a great weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant step by step, thank you... and I love the vintage paint effect and gorgeous stamping on your panel.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic box Sue. Love the gold over the black - very decadent. Great panel too. The crackle effect is lovely irl. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the title piece...you are so creative! The box will be better than the gift! Or really the box is the gift!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!