Saturday, 16 March 2013

Tulips for Mum !

I guess this post is a little late really as it's the card and little gift card I made for my Mum for Mother's Day, which was last Sunday here in the UK. It's been a really busy week and I have to say I've been falling to sleep when I've got in from work so today I'm on catch up !


This is the card I made for my Mum and the stamps I've used for the flowers are one of the new sets by Lin Brown. I've used Distress Inks to make the background and also used the Spritz and Flick technique. Then I used the tulip and leaf stamps from the ELB03 set. I've stamped the leaves with Guacamole Fresco Finish paint and I've masked  them off before I've stamped again so they sit behind each other. For the tulip head I've used Claret mixed with a little Butternut Fresco Finish. When the paint was dry I then stamped randomly with the script stamp from Tim Holtz's French Marketplace set and the honeycomb stamp from the Mixed Media set. For the text panel I've used Vermillion Archival ink and used second generation stamping, stamping the words from ELB03 in different directions. The green leafy panel is made with Olive Archival ink and the leaves from ELB01.


For the main flower I've blended DI over some card and then used one of the small leaves from ELB01 and spritzed it with water before stamping on to the card. As DI reacts with water the stamp leaves a vague leaf shape behind. I've then stamped the leaves and tulip as before but this time I used Hyde Park Fresco Finish paint for the leaves. The tape measure ribbon I bought from The Bead Scene when I was there recently as one of Lin's workshops and the little buckle is from my stash.


My Mum always tells us that she doesn't want anything for Mother's day, just a card and a visit, so I always try to make a little something instead. I decided this year that I would make a gift card holder and inside is a little note saying that we will take Mum out for a meal. I've used Lin's stamps again on a jumbo tag. The large flower is stamped with Fresco Finish paint onto black card and then cut out. The letters are cut using the Tim Holtz WordPlay die, covered with DI and then stamped with text. I've stamped some text onto the card with Fresco Finish Snowflake and the ribbon is seam binding that I've stamped with a flourish stamp and then dyed with Distress Stains and spritzing it with water.



I used the same techniques on the inside of the card and made a little pocket to put the note in. It was very quick to make but my Mum loved it !

I'm also entering these cards in to the new Country View Crafts challenge which is Pick and Mix.


12 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely and colourful card Sue. Love these tulips which have been set off by that wonderful background. And you gift card is adorable. Bet your mum was thrilled to bits with these. Hope you get a quieter week next week. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card and gift card, love the warm colours and the stamped tulip and touch of background stamping is gorgeous. Love the tape and buckle. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful Sue and those tulips make me long for those in my garden to appear!
    I've just been admiring Lin's latest make with the tulips too.
    Hugs, Fliss xx
    PS: Hope next week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I bet she loved it! It is gorgeous - fantastic colours and of course you can't beat Lin's stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card Sue and I bet your mum loved it too x

    The colours are beautiful and so warm. The stamps are amazing and I love the masking.

    Brilliant gift card too.

    THanks for sharing

    Hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. So cheerful. Fantastic idea sue. Bet she was thrilled !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So stunning, Sue - it's just fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is so charming, I know that your Mum will treasure it forever. It is easy to see all the love that went into making it :)
    Happy St. Patty's Day.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a bright and cheerful card and I bet your Mum loved it, especially the little promise of dinner out. Are you sure you don't have my mojo - LOL?
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow Sue, you have used Lin's stamps beautifully, such rich colours and backgrounds for them.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popped back to say thanks for linking to Country View Challenges.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!