Wednesday, 6 March 2013

William Morris Style

It's time for the next challenge over at Frilly and Funkie and this time the lovely Jenny has chosen the theme of 'William Morris Style'. This is what Jenny has to say:

This fortnight's challenge is inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, and in particular William Morris. They believed things in their lives should be well made and hand-crafted. We want to see muted colours (the original palette of Distress colours are perfect) natural elements and you must include an animal of some sort. Patterned backgrounds are great. Avoid using lots of embellishments and cute images this time. Here are a few pictures to give you some ideas.







             
          



























I have to say this challenge really had me scratching my head ! I'm not quite sure I've done it justice, but here goes !



I've used a jumbo tag from Linda's Funkie Junkie store and to begin with I've blended Bundled Sage DI over it. Then I used a Damask Elusive Images stamp and stamped with Bundled Sage DI. The leaves are from one of Lin Brown's new stamp sets and I've stamped it with Olive Archival ink. The stencilling is done with the Chicken Wire stencil and Forest Moss DI. The tree is also an Elusive Images stamp and the leaves and flowers are from the same set.


I've used a PaperArtsy stamp for the grass along the bottom and also for the Iris flower. The text is from the Artisitc Outpost Birds of a Feather set. I've used a piece of corrugated cardboard and rubbed some acrylic paint over the top and a torn piece of book page which I've stamped the leaves over using second generation stamping. I've used some seam binding for the ribbon and I've stamped some of the tiny tree leaves onto it with Olive Archival ink and some Bundled Sage Distress Stains spritzed with water to dye it. To finish, the peacock is one of the fabulous embellishments that Linda carries in The Funkie Junkie Boutique. I've covered it with Fresco Finish paint so that it blends in with the rest of the muted colours and added some eyelets.

I hope you can join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the main blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.


12 comments:

  1. Beautifully done Sue, this a real WM feel o it and exquisite colours.
    Hugs {Brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well sue I think your interpretation on the theme is brilliant, I love, LOVE what you've made, it's gorgeous. I really love the tree and your stamps are great. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Sue, I think you got the style perfectly and it's such an inspiring tag, I really love your clever use of the stamps too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fantastic tag, great background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think you got this absolutely perfect Sue. It has so much interest and detail created exquisitely through the painting, inking, stamping and masking, and I adore the peacock. Your constantly high standards shine through, which is why so many people are in awe of your work. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Sue, stunning background and colours. Love the corrugated card and torn book piece. The peacock is stunning. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You aced this!!!! HE would be proud! The peacock is absolutely bril here! Love your background as well! What a super cool challenge...love that Buttons for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an awesome job! Its so Amazing & stunning! I Love it!!!! The lovely peacock and little red flowers are the perfect punch against that background!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, this is gorgeous and I love that added peacock! Lovely tag and great use of stamps! Enjoy the weekend - almost!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this them and the tag you made is just stunning and represents it perfectly! Wonderful make!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, this is awesome and I had never heard of this art style but I think you did it justice and some. Your stamping is phenomenal and all of the different stamps work so nicely together. Love the treatment of the seam binding and that gorgeous peacock is the perfect finishing touch.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so amazing..I adore all the layers of stenciling and stamping...the words and images...it is all just so beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration! Lots of love from Laura xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!