This is what I started with, and I cut it down and also scored along the open edges so that they would fold over each other.
I then started to rip off the top layer of the carboard in random areas. Then I used some Grunge Paste and applied it with a spatula, patting it so that it gave a stippled effect.
When the Grunge Paste was dry I started to add Fresco Finish acrylic paint. I started with Stone and then used Brown Shed and then French Roast. I concentrated the darker colours around the ripped areas, the Grunge Paste texture and the folds in the cardboard. I was thinking along the lines of an old book so I was aiming for a dark leather colour.
I've used a small piece of cardboard for the panel on the front, using the same technique as the main piece. I've stamped the numbers from the Generation Redux Artistic Outpost stamp set with Fresco Finish acrylic paint and the text is from the Eclectica ESN05 set and I've stamped it with black Archival Ink.
This is the back of the folder and I've used Hitch Fasteners to create a fastening mechanism. I'm not sure about the thread holding it closed, but until I think of something better they'll have to stay ! I've also used the Artistic Outpost Paper Boy set to stamp over the main piece.
The circles are stamped with Fresco Finish using an Oxford Impressions stamp. The main image is from the Artistic Outpost Generation Redux set and I've stamped it with black Archival Ink and stitched around the edge, added some Filigree metal corners and I cut down a piece of dark brown May Arts crocheted lace for the edge. I've added a rusted heart and a metal clock and the paper flower has had Treasure Gold rubbed over it.
I've added a large Filigree metal piece on the spine and then I've rubbed Treasure Gold over the textured areas and also the folds.
I punched some holes and threaded Jute Twine through it so that I could hold the booklet that I made to go inside.
I painted the inside of the folder with Stone Fresco Finish. The little booklet is made from Kraft card and I've used DIY Masking Tape for the spine to hold it togther. My thoughts are that I will use this for possible journalling or doodling, and it's large enough to add more little booklets.
I'm also entering this project into the Artistic Outpost April Referral programme which is Anything Goes and also Visible Image, Get Stamping.