Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Upcycle for Earth Day !

It's time for the next challenge over at Frilly and Funkie and this time the lovely Linda has chosen 'Upcycle for Earth Day!' Now this did have me scratching my head for a while, and after several minutes of staring around my craft room I spotted my ever increasing pile of cardboard. I've collected several pieces from boxes and packaging so thought I would create something from a particular piece that was already scored and looked useful !


This is what I started with, and I cut it down and also scored along the open edges so that they would fold over each other.



 I then started to rip off the top layer of the carboard in random areas. Then I used some Grunge Paste and applied it with a spatula, patting it so that it gave a stippled effect.



When the Grunge Paste was dry I started to add Fresco Finish acrylic paint. I started with Stone and then used Brown Shed and then French Roast. I concentrated the darker colours around the ripped areas, the Grunge Paste texture and the folds in the cardboard. I was thinking along the lines of an old book so I was aiming for a dark leather colour.



I've used a small piece of cardboard for the panel on the front, using the same technique as the main piece. I've stamped the numbers from the Generation Redux Artistic Outpost stamp set with Fresco Finish acrylic paint and the text is from the Eclectica ESN05 set and I've stamped it with black Archival Ink.



This is the back of the folder and I've used Hitch Fasteners to create a fastening mechanism. I'm not sure about the thread holding it closed, but until I think of something better they'll have to stay !  I've also used the Artistic Outpost Paper Boy set to stamp over the main piece.



The circles are stamped with Fresco Finish using an Oxford Impressions stamp. The main image is from the Artistic Outpost Generation Redux set and I've stamped it with black Archival Ink and stitched around the edge, added some Filigree metal corners and I cut down a piece of dark brown May Arts crocheted lace for the edge. I've added a rusted heart and a metal clock and the paper flower has had Treasure Gold rubbed over it.



 I've added a large Filigree metal piece on the spine and then I've rubbed Treasure Gold over the textured areas and also the folds.




I punched some holes and threaded Jute Twine through it so that I could hold the booklet that I made to go inside.


I painted the inside of the folder with Stone Fresco Finish. The little booklet is made from Kraft card and I've used DIY Masking Tape for the spine to hold it togther. My thoughts are that I will use this for possible journalling or doodling, and it's large enough to add more little booklets.

I'm also entering this project into the Artistic Outpost April Referral programme which is Anything Goes and also Visible Image, Get Stamping. 

30 comments:

  1. This is such a clever transformation Sue. I would never have guessed how it started out at the beginning without this great step by step. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic conversion! love the textures and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue...this is absolutely stunning!!!! I love it all.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sue, a fabulous book finish to this and amazing recycling of the card. Just love the textures and colours.
    Hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...love the colours and all the texture!! the stamps look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW....Sue that is just fabulous
    Hugs
    Sheila-x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well aren't you a clever 'green' girl, lovely work. :)
    Happy craftin
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, and wow again, Sue! This is totally fantastic. What an utterly fabulous piece of work. I love the ripped spots, the grunge paste and the fabulous color palette you worked with. You really knocked this one out of the park. Thanks for providing such amazing eye candy for our readers at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic project Sue, I love everything about it...those colours are right up my street!

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I absolutely love this for so many reasons but possibly because of the fact that I love to see household items being re-cycled.
    The transformation is remarkable and what gorgeous depth of colour and interest achieved with the different textures and stamps.
    Fabulous idea.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! This is stunning. Love the rusty worn look on the cover.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow amazing. Love it. You did it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love love love this Sue!! lainey x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of my favorite colors! Sue, this is one gorgeous recycled project! Love all the rustic details! Do you want my address? Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you know I am loving how you used those AO beauties!

      Delete
  15. I really like this and my friend and I can't wait to try something like this ourselves. Good Luck on this entry and keep them coming please. Thanks for the wonderful inspirations.
    Christine and Cherrie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Sue, it's absolutely GORGEOUS! I love everything about it. I agree with Terry... if it's in your way, I have plenty of room for it here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is an amazing project Sue! I love that corrugated texture!
    It was lovely to see you at the weekend!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue...this book cover is amazing! I absolutely LOVE it. All of the texture, the colors, the stamping, the filagree...oh my goodness!! It's just simply amazing! I bet it is really spectacular in person! You should enter this in Simon Says Stamp and Show's background challenge this week. This is one gorgeous piece. Thank you so much for sharing the step by step. And thank you for the very sweet comment you left on my blog. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that's a gorgeous idea, such a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Genius!! I love your corrugated distress work with the added texture paste, and the paints you've used have conjured up "ancient tome" brilliantly! Fabulous use of the AO image - a really special make... great to have you play along at AO too, of course!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow! amazing to see how you transformed the simple cardboard folder completely to make it look vintage and it looks so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. JUST AMAZING! I love the old vintage look. Thanks so much for sharing. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is amazing Sue! Gorgeous book-box. Love the texture of the box, the stamping, everything. Great job! Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this, genius design, love the ripped bits and images, its fab, good luck in our challenge over at Visible Image and thanks for entering :D Suze

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow this is such a stunning make. Thank you for joining in the Visible Image April challenge.
    Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sue...just catching up with projects that I have missed this last week. Have to say that this is a favourite. I love the colours and layers you have created using various techniques and stamping.
    Absolutely wonderful.

    Very inspiring

    Hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is no end to your talent hunny bunny ... gorgeous work and more.

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!