Sunday, 19 May 2013

Alter it !

It's time for the next challenge over at The Fashionable Stamping Challenge and this time the lovely Joanna has chosen 'Alter it'.


When Lin Brown closed her shop I bought one of the boxes that had a mixture of all sorts of different things in it. I'd completely forgotten about this and when I was trying to tidy and create some space in my craft room (which I failed miserably at!)  I came across this little shadow box that was part of the contents. I started by painting it with Stone Fresco Finish.


Then I painted the back panel with Elephant and Blood Orange FF using a baby wipe to blend the colours. I've used the Mini Marakesh stencil and Blood Orange FF then stamped the swirl from the PaperArtsy Hot Pick 1005 stamp set using Elephant and Squid Ink FF.


I stamped the sentiment, which is from the Hot Pick 1024 set, then assembled the box frame. I used the Mini Marakesh stencil again this time with Grunge Paste and when it was dry painted it with Elephant FF. I used the Crackle Glaze over the top, which is what you can see shining in the above photograph.


For the top layer I used Blood Orange, I really like the contrast of the colours when it crackled. I then stamped over it with the Stampin' Up Sanded background stamp using black Archival ink.

 
I've brushed some Classic Treasure Gold around the edges before adding the flowers. These were made from Kraft Glassine Paper which had been painted with Blood Orange FF. I then used the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers strip die and cut out several flowers from the painted paper. I've used a brad in the centre and covered it with petals from the inner flower (something that the very talented Laura did a tutorial on) and added a little metal embellishment.




 The metal leaves and the pearl stick pins have also been brushed with some Classic Treasure Gold.


I've got a lovely day lined up for today as I'm spending it at one of Lin Brown's workshops, so there will be lots of paint and stamps involved ! Just what the doctor ordered !

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge.



24 comments:

  1. Gorgeous project, love the colour and those rich flowers xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely project, I love Blood Orange, it is one of my favourites from the new release colours. Have a fabulous time at the workshop with Lin. Not jealous (much!) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Such a romantic piece with that colouring, looks fantastic with those beautiful roses! Hope you have a great creative day, I am feeling jealous!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Sue! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just run out of superlatives when trying to say how much I love your work Sue. Stunning, elegant, beautiful, elegant and so on just do not seem to be enough.

    Anyway sweets another amazing and delightful piece wish I could be at the workshop with you, enjoy.

    Crafty hugs from me x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in love with this color. Beautiful, gorgeous shadow box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great and such rich colours! sorry if i have missed any comments been a funny week, hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Sue, this is a real stunner. Gorgeous rich colours and I love the sentiment. Hope you've enjoyed your day at the workshop
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, love the colours , details and super quote.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue this is so rich and elegant! Love those colors and the roses and the birdcage are the icing on the cake! Gorgeous! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous... amazing depth to your painty layers and yummy texture!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love the red and orange together. Fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stunning project Sue. Love the colours you've used and such a wonderful quote.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully vibrant and made to perfection Sue. You have a real knack of blending the FF paints and always add wonderful elements to finish off your projects. I hope you had a great day with Lin.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue. This is stunning!!!! I love the richness of the colours and the crackle looks awesome! This is a great quote too.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A gorgeous creation, great color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love this Sue, the colours are rich and gorgeous and such beautiful flowers. I really need to get some grunge paste. Hope you had a fab day at Lin's workshop. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is truly beautiful Sue. I love all the depth and texture and gilding. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the color! These kits are fabulous, and what you've done here is great with the number and flowers! I love the quote as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful transformation! Love your colors and all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVELY, everything is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!