Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Holiday destination through a window !

It's time for the next challenge over at Frilly and Funkie and this time the lovely Jenny has set the theme as 'Holiday destination through a window' ! This is what Jenny has to say:

As thoughts turn to holidays at home and abroad it's time to think of favourite or ideal holiday destinations. What would your dream scene be? Don't forget, you need to include a window in your project.


So, this got me thinking first of all about where I would like to be and my thoughts took me to a destination where, as a family, we've enjoyed some fabulous holidays. The place in question is the South of France. Long sunny days, eating al fresco and enjoying cool glasses of wine........... so back to the challenge ! This thought then led me to window shutters, as these are part of the culture in the South of France, keeping the hot sun out to keep the interior cool.


I have some Serendipity stamps that were bought for me years ago but I still use them alot as they are scenes from France. The stamp I chose to use for this card is 'The old Provence', I thought looking through a shuttered window at the old stone steps with the flower pots on them would be a perfect scene. I used the Tim Holtz Cameo Frame die to cut the aperture from the front of the card and then used the die cut for the panel on the inside of the card. I've used Distress Inks over the front of the card and then used Artistic Outpost stamps from the Flower Market set. The shutters are made from white card that I've embossed using the Distressed Stripes EF. I've blended DI over the panels then coated them with Snowflake Fresco Finish paint to give them the appearance of faded paint. I cut 2 little strips and stuck them to each shutter. The flower is made from Kraft Glassine paper that's been painted with Fresco Finish paint and then I've used the Tattered Flowers strip die.


I've added a coconut shell button the centre of the flower and also to the side of it and I've also added a small metal crown embellishment, which you actually can't see on the photo !


For the background panel on the inside I've used another Serendipity stamp and lots of DI. I've stuck some 7 Gypsies French tissue paper across the panel as well as some crocheted lace and text ribbon. The word 'Bliss' is also a Serendipity stamp and I've zipped around the edge of the card with my sewing machine. I've stamped the stairs onto card that's had DI blended over it and I've also done some Spritzing and Flicking ! I've used the french text from the Artistic Outpost French Exposition set and stamped the butterfly from the AO Flower Market set.


The large button is another of the gorgeous coconut shell buttons that Linda now stocks in The Funkie Junkie Boutique. You will have noticed that I've added the word Mum too, this is another birthday card for my Mum on Friday.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !

10 comments:

  1. This is so incredibly clever Sue. Love the shutters and outer frame which contrast so perfectly with the inner Southern French scene. It works really well to have that portion raised on the cameo plaque too, especially with the stitching around the edge.
    What you won't know is that I was inspired to pick this theme from a card you made a whole year ago - Cities Around the World - it is a favourite of mine, and is now joined by this one. Thanks for the continuing inspiration Sue. I'm a huge fan. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your window and what a great theme! Fantastic stamping and great colours!! And so cleverly put together, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is one fabulous window! Beautiful stamping and great details! Your Mum is going to have one delightful birthday just with her lovely collection of cards! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a gorgeous card in great color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Sue! Love your shutters and the gorgeous coloring on the orange panel, plus all that great stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever design Sue and beautifully put together. Your colour choices are perfect.
    Sorry I have been mia since my holiday, just catching up on DT work.
    Take care.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely card Sue, love the stamps you have used and the beautiful colours

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. A window that opens and it's so brightly colored! So beautiful! I love the sentiment as well! So clever indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrumptious - love the heat outside and the cool blue greens of the shutters and windows - really lovely idea and beautifully executed, as ever!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue. Wow, I love your thought process on this. The blue and green are my fav combination, and so perfect for this destination I think. Such a french card in everyway!!!
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!