Sunday, 16 June 2013

Show something new !

It's time for the next challenge over at The Fashionable Stamping Challenge and for the next fortnight the challenge is to 'Show something new'. This could be a new technique or a new product or stamp. Remember that we are a stamping challenge so you must include some stamping on your project.

As it's Father's Day today I took the opportunity to make the one card I needed for my other half's Dad.



 I started this card by covering some DP with Tarnished Brass Distress Stains. The text on the paper does still show through, but you can't really see it on the photo.



Then I used my new Tim Holtz Artful Tools set to stamp the compasses along the bottom edge. Then I used a piece of, well to be honest I don't know what you call it ! Lin Brown gave a piece of this to everyone who attended her stamp carving workshop. I dipped it into some Fresco Finish Inky Pool paint and dotted it over the card.


The colour of the metallic Distress Stains reminded my of brown paper which gave me the idea to use some brown tissue paper, that was part of some packaging in a recent parcel.  I tore it up and glued it to the card.



I then blended Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Inks around the edge.  I really liked the effect, it was sort of a leathery look, I will definitely use this techniqe again !



 I was going to blend some Freso Finish paints onto some card and went to grab my water spray but grabbed the Ink Refresher instead. So, I then wondered what would happen if I used that instead ! I sprayed the card with the Ink Refresher then dabbed Beach Hut, Pumpkin Soup, Limelight and Old Gold Freso finish over the card. The paint didn't run, like it would with water, and it gave a sort of stippled effect. I like it !


 I then stamped the car stamp from the PaperArtsy 1218 set (which I bought yesterday from the wonderful Artist Trading Post shop !) onto the painted card and cut it out.
 


I used another piece of the card and the cog EF from the Texture Fades Clock and Steampunk set. I blended more Vintage Photo and Walnut stain DI around the edge. I then brushed some Onyxite Treasure Gold around the edges too.


 I was rather taken with the brown tissue paper technique and I also discovered that if you stamp onto card and stick the tissue paper over the top you can still see the stamping ! So, I used the text stamp from the PaperArtsy 1218 set then stuck the tissue paper over the top. While the glue was still wet I wrinkled the tissue paper. When the glue was dry I rubbed Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain DI around the edge.



 I die cut a clock using the Tim Holtz Weathered Clock die and used the Ink Refresher technique again.


I stamped the spark plugs, from the same PaperArtsy set, three times and cut them out. I stamped the word Dad onto a scrap piece of the Fresco Finish card and attached it to the main image with some twine through an eyelet.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the main blog and check out the fantastic projects of the rest of the DT.


13 comments:

  1. Fantastic make Sue, adore how you have created all the different elements, so many cool ideas and the way you have put it together looks brilliant. A truly stunning card!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card, love all the layers and details.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous layout - wonderfully grungy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card for Father's Day and I know it will be cherished! Love that image and those colors! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card Sue, Love all the different finishes and a wonderful image, great details.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to display the step by steps as it gives us a fuller idea of the work you put into the creation of the pieces. Amazing texture and colours and fabulously grungy.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous techniques and a great step-by-step through the process, thank you. You've assembled all those great elements into a wonderful finished card - love all the finishes, and textures, and great stamps!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are great techniques, a fabulous piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card Sue. As mentioned you have incorporated all the techniques elements beautifully. TFS Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful textures Sue and I love the colour palette you chose.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Sue. Wow, this looks amazing! I love all the great techniques and loved seeing how you did it. My fav bit is how the front image just pops off the piece with the colours that you have used.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much effort for each of these layers and boy does it pay off Sue. This is a superb card full of such great ideas. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!