Thursday, 4 July 2013

Bring it to a layout !

I'm back with another project for eclectic Paperie today. This time as a DT member ! I was thrilled to be asked to join the team by Kim after my guest design month. This time for the get altered challenge it's Mary Ann's turn to host it and she has chosen 'Bring it' to a layout ! So, using your mixed media techniques, products and knowledge bring them to a layout. This did have me scratching my head for a while !


Then I spotted a photograph that is in a frame in my craft room that reminds me of our holidays in southern France. We've not been able to get back there for a few years so thought to create a layout using this photo would be a way to relive some memories. I started by drawing around the edge of a Wendy Vecchi stamp card onto some mount board. Then I cut it out using a craft knife. 



I painted the board with some acrylic paint and then stamped it with the stripey stamp from the Wendy Vecchi It's More Flower Art.


I then used a small canvas, painted it with Gesso and then edged it with Salty Ocean Distress Paint.


I dried it off and then edged it with a darker blue acrylic paint.



I painted some old book paper with Gesso, then stamped over it using the script stamp from the Tim Holtz French Marketplace set using Salty Ocean Distress Paint. I then used some cut 'n' dry foam to add a little more Distress Paint around then edge. I then stuck this onto the mini canvas.


For the page I've used a sheet from the Tim Holtz Shabby Chic paper pad. I used some watered down Gesso over it as I wanted that whitewashed wall look. I've used the Dina Wakley Vine stencil with Peeled Paint and Forest Moss Distress Inks, then stuck the photo in place. I wanted to carry on the cobbled look from the photo onto the page. I've used some Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste which I've mixed with some acrylic paint and then applied through a stencil.


To frame the mini canvas I've used Wendy Vecchi Art Part shutters. Now, if you've ever been to France you'll know that the shutters are very often a pale blue. So, I mixed some Gesso with a tiny drop of Salty Ocean Distress Paint and painted them.


I've used some more painted book page underneath the mini canvas and shutters and also a filigree metal embellishment.


I wanted to have red flowers to remind me of the gorgeous red Geraniums that grow in the flower boxes on what seems like every window sill. I've used Kraft Glassine paper and heated it first so the wax melts and then used Festive Berries Distress Stains over it. I've then used the Tattered Flowers strip die and cut several small flowers and layered them up. The swirls are cut using the Festive Greeney strip die. 


This is what the final page looks like, which was really difficult to photograph !


I wanted to add some journalling to my page so I punched a circle from some card and used the negative as a stencil and sponged some Gesso over it and then some blue acrylic paint. I used one of the punched circles and added it to the corner of the photo.


The Travel tag is wooden and I've painted it with acrylic paint and added a rub on mounted onto a Filigree metal embellishment. I mounted the whole page onto a sheet of Kraft card and tore the top layer so that it showed through in places. I then rubbed Walnut Stain Distress Ink around the edge.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge.

I'm also entering this layout in to the Our Creative Corner challenge which is Captured Memories. 

23 comments:

  1. Great LO, so many fun elements! And congrats on your new appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb piece Sue, lots of fabulous elements in your layout and great techniques. Congrats on your new DT position.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congrats on the DT post Sue and what a fantastic layout. Love all the layers so beautifully pieced together. As always thanks for sharing x hugs Annie x

    Ps love your PA tags too, more stunning layers x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mein Gott!
    Was für eine wundervolle Arbeit.
    Ein Meisterstück!

    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your DT post. Fabulous project so many super details.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fab layout and congrats on your new DT position! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a breathtaking LO, fantastic texture and details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous layout Sue - and finally time for the official congratulations on your eP appointment - brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful LO. I love the tiny shutters, they are so cute.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly huge congratulations on your eP DT spot. So well deserved.
    What a fantastic layout Sue! Love that your stencilled brick completely echoes the wall in your photo, love the ripped paper and the way you've altered the papers too, and love the little glassine geraniums. Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner, hugs Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, just fabulous! Congrats on your DT appointment. I've been following/lurking for awhile and have loved all your work. The techniques you use and your creativity is boundless. I love the mixed media feel to this and all the layers, textures, elements fit together so nicely. Really beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue, this is just stunning, such a fab layout. Biggest congrats on your new DT post too. XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new DT post, wonderful news.
    This is an amazing layout with such thought put into it. Wonderful elements and texture.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Sue, this is outstanding! Love all the details and amazing texture. Congrats on your new DT spot at EP.... you will love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Firstly, congratulations on your well deserved DT appointment. Your layout is outstanding, you really have captured the essence of France in your photograph and I love how you have picked this up in your colourings. Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Love the bricks! The shutters look amazing as well! This Vecchian inspired layout is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love your layout Sue, that door looks so well with all those wonderful techniques all around it. Great ideas. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a fabulous layout, Sue! You always build up such beautiful backgrounds! Your photo is just gorgeous and I love the way you created your shutters! I'm thrilled to have you playing along with us this month over at Our Creative Corner for our Memories challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow,what a faboulous card and pages,looove these both,the pages have wonderful details and texture,georgus.

    Greetings Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! It's been quite a few years since I've visited the south of France, but you've captured the 'feel' of it amazingly well with your layout. Love the mixed media and colours. Do you have the details for the stencil used for the 'cobbles'?

    Hugs, Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, the stencil is a Creative Expressions mask and is called Basket Weave. Sue x

      Delete
  21. so beautiful. This takes me right back to my summers in Antibes. Thanks for all the step out pictures too. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! Sue this is so wonderful - but then your creations always are. I love how much texture and detail there is and it is all so perfectly put together. Thanks so much for joining us this month at Our Creative Corner. Love from Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!