Thursday, 18 July 2013

Collage with a twist !

Today is the start of the next eTeam Picks challenge over at Eclectic Paperie. Teresa Jaye is the host for the challenge this time and she has chosen 'Use papers from your kitchen on a collage'. For those of you not familiar with this challenge here's what it's all about:

The eTeam Picks Challenge is held on the third Thursday of each month and each challenge is an opportunity for you to be inspired by one of our eTeam’s creations, to share your work, and to be entered into our challenge prize drawing!

Now I am slightly late with my DT post due to a combination of going away for the week end on the spur of the moment, my craft room being like an oven and a bad back ! So I'm on catch up at the moment !


First of all I went to the kitchen to see what papers I could use. I have to say I was struggling, but decided upon tin foil, cling film and kitchen roll (paper). I'm not sure I've strictly done a collage but this was the best I could think of ! I started by screwing up a piece of tin foil to create lots of creases in it.


Then, using the Tim Holtz Mini Butterfly die I cut a butterfly from thick cardboard and shaped the tin foil over it. I kept the negative for use in a future project.


I then dabbed various colours of Alcohol Inks over the tin foil. The ink runs into all of the creases and blends together beautifully.


I then took a piece of chipboard and painted it with a light lilac acrylic paint. Once dry I then added another coat of paint in a darker colour, spritzed it with water and then placed the clingfilm on the top and 'scrunched' it to create lots of creases.



It's been a while since I've used this technique and it was with ink so then I thought I wonder what will happen with paint. I have to say I like it......alot ! When I was taking this photo I could see a face in the middle, or is that just me ?



Apologies for not taking more step by step photos but I got carried away ! I've used lots of Wendy Vecchi stencils. The black vertical stripes are made with the Yikes Stripes stencil and black Embossing Paste. The leaves are also a Wendy Vecchi stencil and I've used a lime green paint. For the letters I've used the Roman Letters stencil and some more black Embossing Paste. I stamped across the bottom using the border stamp from the It's More Flower Art set.


The horizontal lines are made using the Wendy Vecchi stencil Dots and Stripes borders and black acrylic paint.



I've cut the flower from Kitchen roll (paper) that's been spritzed with Dylusions sprays and then die cut using the Tattered Flower die. It left the paper looking spotty !


I've used the Sized Arches die and cut 2 arches from thick cardboard and cut one of them into two. I've painted the cardboard with acrylic paint and then stamped it using the background stamp from the Heirloom Art set. The sentiment is also from this set. The scalloped border is a piece left over from a previous project which is cut from mount board. It's been painted with acrylic paint and then stencilled using the Yikes Stripes stencil. I've then added some buttons, cogs and a Plaquette number. I dabbed some black acrylic paint around the edge and then brushed some Treasure Gold around the edges.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and make sure you hop over to the eP blog and check out Teresa Jayes fabulous project.

I'm also entering this project into the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge which is Good to be Green - I've used Kitchen roll and tin foil on my project.

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous canvas! Love that you reused foil...brilliant, and so wonderfully colored to make the butterfly! The whole canvas is beautiful! Thank you for going green with us this week here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautifully constructed piece of art Sue, wonderful colours and textures and great use of kitchen papers.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning multi faceted canvas Sue, wonderful effects you achieved with the kitchen papers! Specially liked the clingfilm/paint effect and the butterfly is wonderful too! Great make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful piece of art. Great details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Brenda....I can sympathise with the sore back! I slipped 2 discs last year, with one pressing on a nerve.......hope you feel better soon. Today's post is so stunning and it's a shame to cover such a wonderful background, but your embellis provide even more fantastic details.

    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you've incorporated all the kitchen ingredients - fab make! Do hope your back is starting to improve...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, love your foil covered butterfly! Absolutely gorgeous background too. Love the beautiful purples. Just a really super piece of work, Sue!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these techniques--what a fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous stuff! I especially love the butterfly. You pulled everything together so well! I really like the stripes too.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!