Wednesday, 14 August 2013

At the seaside !

Today I'm sharing my DT project for the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie current challenge. Rebecca is our hostess and has chosen the theme of By the Seaside. Here's what Rebecca has to say:

The sand, sea, sun and seawater are the focus of this challenge. We are to use seashells (real or images) and summer at the seaside to guide our creativity!





I decided to use three coasters for this project. For the first one I've painted it with Snowflake Fresco Finish and when dry I've used Mermaid Fresco Finish with a baby wipe so the coat of paint wasn't perfect as I wanted some of the white to show through.


I then used the Wendy Vecchi Yikes Stripes stencil and the Bubble Doily stencil. Then I stamped the text from a Crafty Individuals set with Cobalt Archival ink and the shells are from the Artistic Outpost Boardwalk set. The main image is from the same Artistic Outpost set and I've stamped it onto a piece of card that's been painted with Fresco Finish paint and then painted parts of the image. The sentiment is from the Crafty Individuals set.


For this coaster I applied the paint with the firm side of Cut 'n' Dry which didn't blend the paint together completely, and I really like the effect.



I used the Bubble Doily stencil again with Snowflake Fresco Finish. Then I used the Dots and Stripes Wendy Vecchi stencil to create the candy stripe down the left hand edge. The background text stamp is from the Crafty Individuals set and the rest of the stamps are from the Artistic Outpost Boardwalk set.


For the third coaster I've painted it again with Snowflake and then Mermaid Fresco Finish paints. Then I've used the Wendy Vecchi Polka Dotty stencil. I stencilled the darker dots then moved the stencil and covered them and then stencilled the white dots. I then used a baby wipe to add a little Vanilla Fresco Finish over the top.


The background text stamps are from the Crafty Individuals stamps set and again I've used Cobalt Archival ink. The main image is also from this set and I decided to stamp straight on to the coaster but the image didn't transfer too well so I've painted it to make it stand out a little more. I then used the sentiment stamp from the Artistic Outpost Boardwalk set and cut it into pieces before sticking it on to the coaster.


Here's the finished trio ! I'm not sure if I will leave them as singles or use them in future projects.

Make sure you hop over to the main blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.

I'm also entering this project into the Artistic Outpost Referral Programme which is anything goes and the August Crafty Individuals challenge which is also anything goes. 

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic coasters Sue. Love the stencilling and paintwork on the backgrounds which really enhances the stamped images. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I have a zillion coasters, and forget about them. Thanks for inspiring me to use them again! You've made 3 gorgeous scenes with wonderful color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely, Sue. Great mix of images. Would make a lovely hanging,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great coasters, they really work well together - would make lovely bathroom bunting! Thanks for joining in the Crafty Individuals August Challenge, Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your project, great colors and design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful layers of paint and stencils to create these gorgeous backdrops on which the lovely bathing beauties sit.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these coasters Sue, the backgrounds are amazing.

    Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These would be perfect at my beach condo Sue and you have used my favorites too! A perfect marriage of stencils, stamps, ink and paint! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I love these seaside lovely coasters! What a nice mixed media set! I have a nice little stack of these! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful trio and the CI stamps work so well with the AO set (recently received the AO set to play with - I know I will have fun).
    So love the candy stripes and the other use of stenciles.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful collection! Love your layered backgrounds, and those gals are wonderful. Really like the trio!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely trio, Sue - the backgrounds are brilliant, and the stamps work so well with each other. Gorgeous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!