Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Anything Goes at Frilly and Funkie !

Today I'm sharing my project for the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie challenge which is Anything Goes ! Now, for some reason I find it more difficult when there is no theme to get started as my mind wanders off in so many different directions, I end up just staring into space ! However, I finally decided that I would alter a notebook that I bought on our recent holiday. I spotted these books in Paperchase and the covers on them are really thick so perfect for painting !


I decided I wanted to keep the word on the front cover so I gave it a coat of Glue 'n' Seal so that I wouldn't obliterate it when I started to paint.


I started  by using some Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste with the Thistle stencil and also the Wendy Vecchi leaves stencil. I dried the paste with my heat gun and then started to add layers of Fresco Finish paint using a baby wipe and drying each layer before adding the next.


I then used the Tim Holtz Eye Chart stencil and added some stamping with Coffee Archival ink using the Artistic Outpost Generation Redux stamp set. The word 'Art' has been made by painting the backs of three Game Pieces and then adding a Type Charm sticker to each and rubbing Treasure Gold around the edge.



The frame I found in my stash and has been painted with Fresco Finish paint, then Crackle Glaze then another coat of FF paint. The sentiment is from the Artistic Outpost Typography set. I stuck some paper from an old book to a piece of card, then I roughly painted it with FF paint and stamped the text with black Archival ink. So that all of the embellishments blended with the colour scheme I've used Treasure Gold over them. I replaced the stencil back over the thistle heads and added some purple Treasure Gold. The wonderful button is from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique and it also has been brushed with Treasure Gold.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the main blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.

I'm also entering this project into the Artistic Outpost Referral Programme which is Anything Goes. 


20 comments:

  1. A beautifully altered notebook Sue. I love the sentiment and the thistle design, and the way you have altered all the embellishments to coordinate. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Sue. What a fabulous creation. I love how you have changed it from a plain sketchbook to a work of art. How on earth did you manage to paint in between the binders. It looks absolutely beautiful. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love browsing around Paperchase when I am home Sue and I have a few of their notebooks. Your DT piece has given me some valued inspiration on how to change them. This is gorgeous with all the dimension plus I love how you haven't obscured the Sketchbook words.

    Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous journal! The colors and textures in your background are stunning! Just love it!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the textures on your journal cover. The stenciling is great and I love that thistle stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing piece Sue, love the glowing colours you achieved with the Frescos! The stencils worked beautifully too and the sentiment (love that one) finishes it off just perfectly. A truly gorgeous make, love it!! Oh I meant to say still, I love how you kept the word sketchbook still visible (great idea to use G&S for that and the way you did the word ART like that is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh Sue. This is gorgeous with really helpful explanation of the different stages and products used. Will pinch your use of the glue and seal to preserve layers. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a beautiful piece, full of gorgeous layers and textures as well as wonderful rich colour x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I'm missing words - it a breathtaking project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, this is another jaw dropper! First off, I love how you framed and used the AO sentiment! The colors and textures are all so perfectly blended! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous book cover Sue. Love the autumnal colours and fab textures.
    Wonderful frame and embellishments too
    TFS
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work Sue, just love the textures, images and colours, it's now a fabulously attractive book to have.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just gorgeous! I love the embossing paste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really Love the results. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This cover is exquisite! I love the embossing paste flowers and the color you achieved is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely glorious, Sue! I love the use of the sentiment, bold and beautiful in its frame; and the depth and beauty of your painty layers is fabulous. I got a similar album in Paperchase recently, but haven't dived in yet... this is great inspiration, thank you! And lovely to have you play along at Artistic Outpost too, of course.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this Sue :)
    Happy craftin
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue...your art journal is GORGEOUS! I so love those colors and the wonderful design you've created for your cover. Just beautiful! You always create such lovely things. Thanks so much for the very uplifting comment you left on my blog about the faux batik technique. You're so kind. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue
    This is gorgeous and what I really like, is that you retained Sketchbook, so many of us would have obliterated the word.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!