Saturday, 21 September 2013

Take a note !

It's my turn to share a step x step project over at Frilly and Funkie today but I thought I would share it here too so I can keep a record. I decided to make a little message pad to keep by the phone or to have on hand for all of those shopping lists (I've always got a shopping list on the go!) There's lots of photo's so grab a cuppa and get comfy !


I started with 2 chipboard coasters, a block note pad and 2 hinges cut from Grunge Paper.


Then I used a piece of brown tissue paper that was part of some packaging and stamped it with lots of Artistic Outpost stamps using black Archival ink.


I then tore up pieces of the tissue paper and glued it to the coasters along with some torn pieces from an old book using Multi-medium. I brushed some more Multi-medium over the top of the paper to protect it as I'm going to add lots of paint !


I then used the Wendy Vecchi stencil and embossing paste and stencilled the numbers onto the coaster.


Once the paste was dry I then gave it a wash of watered down Fresco Finish acrylic paint. I dried this off with my heat heat gun and then started to add more Fresco Finish paint using a baby wipe.


I continued to build up layers of paint using my favourite Autumnal colours.


I then started to stencil first of all using a numbers stencil and then I used the chicken wire stencil.


I used Sepia Archival ink and added some stamping using the gorgeous little flourish from the Artistic Outpost Serenity set and a script stamp.


I brushed some Treasure Gold around the edges and rubbed it over the raised areas. Then I added the embellishments, the text is from the Artistic Outpost Think and Wonder set. The Grunge Paper hinges were painted with Fresco Finish paint and I cut a filigree metal piece in half and glued it to the top.


I used the same technique for the bottom coaster except I didn't add any embellishments as I needed a reasonably flat surface. I also didn't use a stencil with the embossing paste, I just dragged my spatula through it to create the ridges.


As the inside of the covers would be seen I decided to line them. I drew around the coasters and cut them out from white card. I used lots of Distress Inks and then stamped the card using a Wendy Vecchi background stamp with Olive Archival ink.


This what it looks like now it's lined. I stained a piece of seam binding with Shabby Shutters Distress Stains and I was originally going to stick it in between the coaster and the lining, but I forgot ! So, plan B! I rolled the end of the ribbon and then pierced a hole and added a brad, then stuck it to the lining.


I also used some seam binding and the same technique with the brad to create a little band to hold the paper block in place.


One final photograph to show the detail. I really enjoyed making this project, I hope you've enjoyed it too!

I'm also entering this project into the Artistic Outpost Referral programme of Anything Goes. 





9 comments:

  1. I love your project what a great idea for little gifts or putting on the desk at work, going to have to have a go at this one x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this stunning memo. I agree with Julie they would make a wonderful gift

    Crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fabulous make and great step by step photos, TFS.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  4. PINNED!!! Oh my word! Fabulous and totally unique! Love the cover so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this over at F&F - just fantabulous, Sue!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fabulous! great project!
    xx Monique

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know how I missed this, so glad I caught it now, it's totally stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know how I missed this, so glad I caught it now, it's totally stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!