Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Colours of Autumn

I think I may have mentioned before that my favourite season is Autumn. I just love the colours, so rich and warm and they are also my favourite colours to work with (strangely enough!). Today I'm sharing my DT project for the Funkie half of the Frilly and Funkie team. I am the host for the current challenge and couldn't resist choosing Autumnal colours as the challenge with a twist of using leaves on your project too !


I started with a square piece of greyboard and some chipboard leaves that I picked up from a sale box at a local craft shop. I stuck them to the board using Multi Medium Matt glue, arranging them so that it looked like the wind had picked them up and was carrying them away.


Then I did lots of random stamping onto some brown tissue paper using Fern Green and Potting Soil Archival inks (love these new colours!).


I painted the board and leaves with Vanilla Fresco Finish paint and when it was dry tore pieces from the tissue paper and glued them to the board.


I coated the tissue paper with Multi-Medium Matt glue so that it wouldn't disintegrate when I started to add more paint. I used a babywipe and built up the layers gradually, drying in between colours.


I then used the Wendy Vecchi leaves stencil and more Fresco Finish paint.


I stamped some text using a PaperArtsy Mini stamp and Potting Soil Archival ink. I also did some more stencilling using the Reverse Chicken Wire stencil and the Art Is stencil. I mixed some French Roast and Chocolate Pudding Fresco Finish paint and went around the edges to darken them and frame the project.


I painted a piece of paper from an old book and then stamped the sentiment from the Artistic Outpost Quotes and Quotables set. The crown is a Tim Holtz stamp and has been cut out and then I've used Distress Ink to colour it a little. It's mounted onto a filigree metal piece that I've painted with a mixture of French Roast and Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint.


I used the Tattered Flower die and cut 2 flowers from metal, then embossed them using the Bubble Texture Fade EF. I then dabbed alcohol inks in various colours on to the metal. I cut lots of leaves from old book paper that I'd rubbed Fresco Finish paints over and for the centre of the flower I used a coconut shell button and dabbed some paint around the edge of it.


I used the same techniques for the small metal flower and I also added a metal leaf that I painted black then brushed Treasure Gold over. The Filigree metal corners have also been painted with a mixture of French Roast and Little Black Dress.


To finish I rubbed some Treasure Gold around the leaves and the edges of the board and spritzed the whole thing lightly with Bronze and Biscotti Perfect Pearls mists, which you can just make out in the above photograph.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge, there's still another week to go, and do make sure you check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects here


11 comments:

  1. Great project Sue! So many great textures and wonderful colours, love it! Autumn is my favourite season too and I really hope I will get a chance to play in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow Sue...this piece of art is amazing in every way and so love the autumnal colours too!
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful project! I love the background and the colors and textures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color combinations and texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, you are truly becoming a master at these decorative pieces (and you will be needing larger walls!!) They are so rich and deep in colour and have so much detail layered into them. Love this one with your favourite colours. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely love this project. Such a lovely colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do it so super easy and it looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Autumn too and this hanging is so beautiful. Love the wonderful layers you have created and the fab texture on the florals.

    TFS

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sue, that autumn feeling at its best. A wonderful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful - really smashing. (I love that word - it says it all) I take it that since you told us how you make this beauty, I can copy/steal some of your ideas?
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girlfriend...you are crazy talented...this is so beautiful! Really lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!