Friday, 4 October 2013

Spooky !

I was very happy to discover that I'd been picked as one of the top 3 for the Country View Crafts August challenge and even more pleased to be invited to guest design for the October challenge ! Now you may well have guessed from the title of this post that the theme for October is Spooky ! This was the perfect opportunity to give my new Artistic Outpost stamps an outing !


 I decided to make a 'spooky' wooden bag that I could put a few little treats into ! I started by dabbing some Grunge Paste around the bottom edge and the corners. When it was dry I painted the whole bag with Vintage Lace Fresco Finish paint.


I carried on adding Fresco paints building the colour up but leaving it paler in the centre.



On this side of the bag I stamped the 31st from the Gothic 31 set using Moonlight Fresco Finish.  The leaves were stamped with black Archival ink directly on to the bag. I also used the Reverse Chicken Wire stencil with Moonlight FF too. I filled a mini mister bottle about 2/3's full with some water and then added some Little Black Dress FF. I gave it a good shake and then sprayed it from quite close proximity to the bag and let the watery paint run down the bag.


For the large flower I painted some Grunge Paper with Pansy Fresco Finish paint, dried it and then glued some black crocheted lace to it. I then die cut the flowers using the Tattered Flower die. ( I saw this done on the Creative Expressions blog a few months back and thought it looked wonderful!). I painted a small paper rose and added it to the centre. The stick pins started life as pearl, I painted them and then dabbed Treasure Gold on to them when the paint was dry. I stamped one pumpkin using Orange Blossom Archival ink, masked it off and then stamped it again, twice. I painted the pumpkins using Distress Markers and then cut them out.


The frame around the text actually has a spooky cameo in the centre, but I masked it off so I could just use the frame. I then cut it out and blended Distress Inks around the edge. I used some more little paper roses and painted them and the wire stalks that I cut off I coiled and then painted them black with Little Black Dress and brushed some Treasure Gold over them. You can also see the Treasure Gold I brushed around the edge on the above photo.



Now for the other side ! I sprayed the watery black paint again and let it run down the bag. For the numbers I used the Mini Numbers stencil and put the 3 and the 1 together. I also used the Reverse Chicken Wire stencil again too !



I painted some Smoothy card with Fresco Finish paint and when dry I stamped the framed spooky cameo then embossed it with clear EP. I stamped the lace on a left over piece of painted card and cut it out. The paper flowers have also been painted and I've used a Maya Road Bingo Chip in the centre and a filigree metal circle. I brushed more Treasure Gold around the edges of the bag.




I was just going to stick the owl to the bag and leave him like that but decided he needed something to sit on ! I used the twig from the Tim Holtz Holly die, painted the die cut black and just used the end of it. The owl has been painted black using Little Black Dress FF and then I touched the edges using Treasure Gold.

I'm also entering this project in to the Artistic Outpost Referral Programme.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sue. I love the idea of a Halloween bag for the treats and you have painted and embellished this one exquisitely. Thanks for joining us at CVC with your spooky creation.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorges make , greatvtextured and spooky creation! Hugs x trace x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I love that you took your new AO stamps out for trick or Treating! Fabulous texture and great spooky details! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sue, this looks totally fabulous!! You are so clever with those Frsco paints! This colour combination spells Halloween all over and I adore how you have used the wonderful AO stamps with it. Stunning make, love all the textures too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this wonderful spooky bag with lots of great detail and techniques....TFS

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!