Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Welcome to Spooky Street !

Hello and welcome ! Today I'm sharing my project for the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie DT. The current challenge is 'What's your poison?' and  the lovely Trace is our host.

Here's what Trace has to say:

A Halloween inspired make with a twist, you must use green and black and no orange in your Halloween make.

I was thinking what I could make and  while I was pondering saw a lantern and this got me thinking about how I could incorporate a candle into my project. There's quite a lot to share so grab a cuppa and get comfy !


So, welcome to Spooky Street ! I've been wanting to make a project with houses as the theme for some time so I've married that with the candle thought into this project. The houses with windows are wooden Artemio houses and the rest have been die cut using the Tim Holtz Artful Dwellings die.


For the first house I've used Wendy Vecchi's Brick stencil and embossing paste and when it was dry I painted it with Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint. I've made the door using the Tim Holtz Sized Arches die and I've painted it black then used some Crackle Glaze then added the top coat of Fresco Finish. The little handle is a Tim Holtz Ring Fastener and the number is a Tim Holtz Plaquette that I've sponged some Fresco Finish paint over so it's not as white. The trees are Artemio wooden ones and I've painted them with a mixture of Guacamole and Limelight Fresco Finish. I then sponged a mixture of Green Olives and Little Black Fress around the edges. I've also stamped over the trees using the script stamp from the Artistic Outpost French Flight.  The next house has been sponged with Fresco Finish paints, then I stamped it using an old Stampin' Up stamp called Sanded then I've used the text stamp from the Artistic Outpost Quote and Quotable set. I've used one of the Filigree corners at the top and bent it around the house. House number 3 has also had the Crackle Glaze treatment and I've stamped over it using the PaperArtsy mini bricks stamp using Watering Can Archival ink. I then stamped the spider and cobweb from the Artistic Outpost Gothic 31 set and stuck vellum to the back of it.


For house number 4, I glued the lock, which I cut using the Tim Holtz Hardware Findings die, to the house and then started to add Fresco Finish paints, wiping them back with a baby wipe to create a shadow around the lock. I added a number which is a Tim Holtz Mini Numerals, I painted it with Fresco Finish paints and then brushed it with Treasure Gold.
House number 5 has been painted again with Fresco Finish paints, I've then stencilled using the reverse Chickenwire stencil with black paint. The main image is from the Artistic Outpost Gothic 31 set and I've stamped it using Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint.
House number 6 has had the Crackle Glaze treatment too and then I've stamped it with stamps from the Gothic 31 set and again I've stuck vellum to the back of it.


The little wooden owl has been painted with Fresco Finish paints and then I've lightly brushed some Little Black Dress over the top and sponged it around the edges.


I stamped the Halloween ticket from the Tim Holtz Odds and Ends set and cut out the above section and blended Pumice Stone Distress Ink over it.



The rat is from the Gothic 31 set and it's been stamped with black Archival Ink, I then cut it out (he had to lose his whiskers, unfortunately!) and then blended Pumice Stone DI over it.


Now as the rules of the challenge are to not include orange on your work my pumpkin has had to be purple ! I've stamped it using Black Soot DI and then sprinkled Sticky embossing powder over it and then used Clear Rock Candy Distress Glitter. For the panel that the houses sit on I've used Wendy Vecchi's black embossing paste and brick stencil and painted it black, when it was dry. I've then used Treasure Gold and brushed it over the raised surface, which you can just about see on the above photo.


The reason for the vellum behind the 2 houses with windows is so that I could light 2 tealights behind them which then light up the windows. I think I've just about captured it on the above photo, but it's very difficult getting a photo that shows it as good as it is in real life.

I have to say I had a real ball making this project and it is now taking pride of place on our mantle place awaiting the 31st October !

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge, you still have a week, and do make sure you hop over to The Frilly and Funkie blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous work !

I'm also entering this project into the Artistic Outpost Referral Programme ; the Country View Crafts challenge which is Something Spooky and Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge - Spooky. 


18 comments:

  1. This is superb Sue! I love the brick road, the detail on each house and the assorted animals hidden in plain sight amongst this fantastic terrace. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue - I love your spooky street. The brickwork detail and the creepy crawlers are fabulous - I sure don't want to take a wrong turn on a dark night and end up quaking in my boots in your spooky street x
    Thanks for sharing (great how to do)
    Huggles
    Kassa
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Sue! The shades oif purple looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely village to Trick or Treat at! Fabulous creation, Sue! Love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful Halloween street!! I just love all the details and the brick sidewalk is perfect! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous project Sue - love it to bits. Been having a lovely stroll and catch up through your blog, so fab to see you doing so much and having so much fun too. OOdles of luck for your November workshop, looks an amazing class.
    Love
    Vic
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sue! This is absolutely amazing and such a fabulous idea too. Love it!
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a gorgeous creation, such a wonderful decoration for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabaroony or should that be spookaroony LOL made up word!
    Happy craftin
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly, what an amazing project!!! So much detail to admire, totally fab, and it looks as if you had loads f fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, an amazing project, love the row of houses and so many details to look at.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous idea Sue and a great spooky street with all those textures and Halloween elements you have included. Perfect for All Hallows' Eve.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love your Spooky Street, Sue - from the cobblestones to the colours to the stamping - every detail is a delight - brilliant! Love it all lit up... what a fabulous project. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Artistic Outpost!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your haunted village! The variation in the houses with the fun images is a creepy little village perfect for Halloween! Glad you joined us in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge spooky fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely a fan Sue - stunning! Thanks for entering our challenge this month at Country View Challenges. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, This is outstanding spooky street project that you crafted and shared with us! Thank you so much, very inspiring! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!