Thursday, 7 November 2013

Stepping out of my comfort zone !

Now to say I was out of my comfort zone on this one is putting it mildly ! When I saw the challenge for the new Get Altered challenge over at eclectic Paperie I was a little challenged indeed ! The very lovely and talented Bonnie has challenged us to create an art doll. Well, first of all I had to do some research as I hadn't a clue what I was meant to do ! The first effort has been filed under 'b' for bin ! So, here's my second effort, which I'm a little happier with but it's definitely going to take some practice !


First of all I needed a face so I reached for my Lynne Perrella stamps and masked off part of a stamp so I had just the face and stamped onto some cotton fabric using black Archival ink. I then drew the hair with a waterproof black pen so I could then paint it.


For the body I used a greyboard arch that was covered with white card. I used the TCW Spinning Tops stencil and Wendy Vecchi's Embossing Paste and when it was dry used Fresco Finish paints and painted it so that the colour went from dark to light. I then brushed some Classic Treasure Gold over the whole thing.


For the legs I found a template, thanks to one of my teamies, and I painted them with Chocolate Pudding Fresco Finish paint and then used the Spinning Tops stencil again with Cheesecake Fresco Finish paint.



I decided to give my doll a base, as she is going to be flat, and used some cardboard that I tore off pieces from the top layer. Then I used the Wendy Vecchi 3 Flourishes stencil with some more embossing paste. Then I painted the whole thing with some Cheesecake Fresco Finish and once that was dry I used a large paint brush and more Fresco Finish paint but watered it down a little and only painted from one direction. I loved the effect so this is definitely something I'll do again ! I used the Wendy Vecchi Dotty stencil to add some interest but didn't go too mad as I wanted the doll to take centre stage !


So here she is ! She was very difficult to photograph as she ended up being quite large ! I cut off a large section of the hair as I spotted a pediment die cut on my table and thought it would be perfect for a crown! I painted it and then used Antique Bronze Distress Stain over the top. I used a Viva pen to add little pearl drops to the crown and the centre of the flower.


The arms are also a template taken from the same place as the legs. I painted them and then stencilled the stripes using the Wendy Vecchi Dots and Stripes Border stencil. The flower brooch is made using the Tim Holtz Tattered Flower strip die and I painted the flowers with Fresco Finish paint to match the rest of the project. The sentiment is from the Wendy Vecchi Art for You stamp set and I just thought it was perfect for my doll ! I suppose I should give her a name .........


I was hoping that you could see the texture and the Treasure Gold on the above photo but I'm not so sure you can after all !

So, I hope you've enjoyed my wander out of my comfort zone !  I sort of did in the end ! It would be great if you could join us for this challenge too !


16 comments:

  1. Fabulous Sue ! Well done for stepping out of your comfort zone! This is lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fantastic, Sue! Stepping out of your comfort zone seems to not have been a problem. She's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Sue! Unusual and very creative. Love the colour palette. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work for being out of your comfort zone. Says Sue all over it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue...this is simply stunning! For stepping out of your comfort zone...you rocked it!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is really really awesome!
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome... never would believe it was out of your comfort zone !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE all of the texture and really LOVE her legs! the pattern is so Cool! FAB doll creation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Quirky make Sue....it's right up my street.

    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woohooohooo Sue..she turned out beautifully, love all the textures and your step by step..love her!
    Hugs
    Tracy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your color combo and all the texture on the background. Great job stepping out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!!!! She is a beauty!!!! I love all the texture and I'd never, in a million years guessed that this was outside your comfort zone. LOVE those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word, I love her! This is such a creative and beautiful art doll. Talk about thinking outside the box! The texture on her dress and painting/stencilling on her limbs is fantastic. Her face and hair are so cool...and a pediment for a crown...amazing idea. Then you add all of that to the stunning background and ...sigh...I could look at her all day. Fabulous, Sue. You are a natural at art dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love her, Sue - so full of fabulous colour and texture, and the background, as always, is just gorgeous.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!