Sunday, 1 December 2013

Bah Humbug !

First of all an apology as I'm late with this post. I should have had it ready for this morning but as I've been at the fabulous Finnabair workshop all week end (more about that later this week) it clean slipped my mind !

So, this is my DT piece for the new challenge at Country View Crafts which starts today and the theme is Bah humbug. Your project can be vintage (eg Dickensian) or contemporary, celebratory or cynical, make what you will, but we must be able to see something connected to Christmas.


I love the traditional side of Christmas so decided this was the way I would go. The frame is a papermache one that I picked up from a local garden centre. I've painted it black with Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint and then gave it a top coat of Fresco Finish Old Gold. I used some Wendy Vecchi black embossing paste through a snowflake stencil and stencilled some snowflakes onto the frame.


The background of the inside was made using Forest Moss and Bundled Sage Distress Inks smooshed onto my craft sheet and spritzed with water. I then pressed some white card into the ink, then I used the TCW snowflake stencil with Snowflake Fresco Finish. The santa from the Tim Holtz Mini Holidays set has been stamped onto tissue paper then I've painted him on the back using Fresco Finish paints. The frame has been made from cardboard using the Tim Holtz arch die. I've painted it with Holly FF and then added a coat of Crackle Glaze then a coat of Honey Dew FF. The holly and berries are from the lamp post die and I've used DI then dabbed embossing ink onto them and sprinkled sticky powder over the top. Once this has been heated I then sprinkled Rock Candy Distress Glitter over the top. The lamp post is also made from cardboard and cut using the Tim Holtz die. I've then dabbed embossing ink over it and sprinkled it with a mixture of Copper and Gold EP.


The poinsettias have been made from metal and cut using the Tim Holtz die. I then used an EF to emboss the metal and then used alcohol inks. The red was a little too bright so I brushed some FF Old Gold over the top. The greenery is cut using the Tattered Pinecone die and I've blended a little DI over it.


I've never found the Tattered Pinecone die that easy to use, but not to be beaten I tried it again and this time they turned out not too bad ! I made three of them and used a hot glue gun to stick them to the frame. To finish I brushed some classic Treasure Gold over the pinecones and the black embossed snowflakes on the frame.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the Country View Crafts blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous work.

I shall be back later this week with the details from this week end.....totally amazing !

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous frame Sue and great altering and embellishments. Looking forward to your Finnabair makes.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous framed piece Sue, gorgeous poinsettia and I love the Santa showcased in the arch. Gorgeous. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous piece with gorgeous textures a plenty! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a traditional Christmas and this is a wonderful make with some great touches, beautifully put together!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous framed make for Christmas, I share your pain with the pine cone die might have to give it another go as you seem to have mastered it!
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing frame I love it Santa looks fabulous within the arch and your pinecones look great ...I don't find them easy either!
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a breathtaking creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an amazing frame Sue - the Santa is just fabulous and your flowers absolutely amazing! I am so envious of you all attending the Finnabair workshops!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work on the pine cones - I find all that rolling stuff really tries my patience too!! And I love those black snowflakes against the gold, what a great touch... fabulous make again, Sue! Can't wait to hear about your Finn adventures - and see some results!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!