I was trying to think of something witty for this post but I couldn't think of anything ! So, on to the project instead ! I bought one of the cheap Ikea mirrors ages and ages ago and, having a little time on my hands at the week end, decided to dig it out and dabble with my Fresco Finish paints. If you've been on the PaperArtsy blog recently you will have seen not only the fabulous guest designers but also the wonderful video tutorials that Leandra has done. They show how to use these gorgeous paints and explain the differences between opaque, semi-opaque and translucent.
This is what the frame looked like before I started, I've used masking tape to cover the mirror so it was protected while I was dabbling.
I didn't take step by step photo's and I wish I had done now as this is so different from when I started ! I used Ferro Texture Paste through the Crafter's Workshop Mini Bliss stencil. I then gave the wood a coat of Guacamole Fresco Finish to start with. As it's an opaque it covered the wood beautifully. I then started to build up layers and blending the paint with Cut 'n' Dry foam. The colours I've used are - Haystack, Pumpkin Soup, Hey Pesto and Brown Shed. I used the Mini Chicken Wire stencil with Hey Pesto in places and some Crackle Glaze to add some texture.
I put some Brown Shed in to a mini mister with some water and sprayed the corners without the swirls. I then started to stamp ! I've used PaperArtsy stamps and the large flower is from HP1109. I've painted the flowers with Fresco Finish paints too. The word bloom is from the Petals - Plate 4 set and I've stamped it on metal, used a wheel to add detail around the edge and a ball and cup tool for the four corners. I've then covered it with Brown Shed (fast becoming my favourite colour!) The little tags on the bottles are also stamped onto metal and given the same treatment.
The bird cage is stamped onto acetate and I've used a technique that I was shown at one of the first ArtsyCraft week ends I went on. I've used Brown Shed to paint the reverse of the acetate along the bars of the cage. Once dry I've then painted over the whole cage, on the reverse, with Snowflake that I've mixed a little Haystack into. Before this paint dries I pressed it onto some black card, and the paint acts like glue and sticks to the acetate. I've glued a small piece of Ideaology chain above the cage and also added some Filigree corners. The sentiment is from the HP 1204 set and I love it !
Here you can see the bottles from the HP1109 set and the tags too.
Once I was happy with the paint colours I used Classic Treasure Gold around the edges and over the raised areas of the swirls. I think the above photo has just about picked up the shine. I do love this stuff and it seems to be featuring on everything I do at the moment !
Infusions and a little rust...
18 hours ago