Sunday, 5 January 2014

Follow your heart

I was hoping to get this posted earlier today but time ran away with me, as it always seems to do when I'm in my craft room ! This is my DT project for the current Get Altered challenge over at eclectic Paperie. I had an absolute ball making this, I have to be honest, it was an afternoon of pure indulgence !



I started with a canvas and decided to use up some die cut letters and numbers that I'd previously cut using my Word Play die. When I attended a recent Finnabair workshop one of the things that stuck with me was when Anna said that you can use anything on your projects so I thought why not these die cut letters and numbers ! As they are made from mount board I gave them a coat of Glue 'n' Seal so they didn't start to fall apart when I applied the paint. I've also used some metal embellishments, some lace and buttons. I then gave it a coat of Stone Fresco Finish paint. The two larger hearts are wooden and I've used the TCW Spinning Tops stencil with Wendy Vecchi's Translucent embossing paste. Once dry I sprayed the larger one with Dirty Martini Dylusions spray, then decided that I didn't want to use green and sprayed it with Cherry Pie. The result was this really deep red, which I loved ! The smaller wooden heart was sprayed in the same way but it didn't go as deep a colour.


I then started to build up layers of paint starting with Irish Cream, then Moccha Mousse FF. I used a baby wipe to blend the paint around the edges of the embellishments.


I continued adding the paint and getting darker with each layer. I moved on to Chocolate Pudding and finally I added some French Roast but only around the edges and in the very centre of the embellishments next to the hearts.


I used the Spinning Top stencil again with Chocolate Pudding FF and added just a little stencilling to break up the plain areas. I then started to use Treasure Gold to highlight the embellishments. I used Ruby on the metal rose and Onyxite on the letters and numbers. Then I used Classic over the clock and around the edges.


The sentiment is from the Wendy Vecchi Love to Make Art stamp set, and I've broken it up into separate parts and blended Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Inks around the edge.

I hope you've all recovered from the festive break ! Make sure you hop over to the eclectic Paperie blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.


19 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and wow, Sue! What a brilliant idea to use the die-cut letters and numbers... and the finished piece looks completely amazing - fantastic!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully designed and put together.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Sue! I love your canvas and what fantastic textures, layers and colours! Particularly love how you put down the numbers and letters and those gorgeous hearts, the dark red colour you created is really lovely. Hugs, Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, this is absolutely STUNNING! LOVE the stacked letters and your FAB hearts! Your layers are Amazing! I am taking my first Finnabar class this week and now you have me so Excited! LOVE this Beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hat a Stunning canvas Sue. The attention to detail and the embellishments you have used make it a sensational piece. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Sue I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Sue. The layering has worked superbly and I adore your jewelled hearts. Just the creative nudge needed for something important too ;) Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW WOW This is great Sue, such a wonderful project.
    Hugs Astrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic project! I love all the texture and the embellishments you used. I like Finn's technique of using anything, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a breathtaking canvas, so much to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful canvas Sue :-) so much to look at and the colour combo is certainly a favourite of mine. As always thank you for sharing the 'how to'

    Best Wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS!!!!! Loooovvvveeee this! The pops of color from the hearts make this extra special! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why can I not do something this wonderful?! But I guess that is why they pay you the big bucks!!!!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have used everything to such amazing effect on your canvas - really is fabulous.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I love it. Love how you layered some of the die cut letter/numbers on top of each other. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, at first it made me hungry reading the names of the colors that you used, cherry pie, mocha, chocolate pudding . . . and then I saw all the amazing detail you put into this project!! I love the layers and embellishments! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous canvas Sue, I can fully understand why you enjoyed this so much! Wonderful layers and that lovely pop of colour on the heart, super! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh thats scrumdiddleyumptious Sue . . .adore all your hearts and the layers....wowow!!
    Big hugs
    Tracy
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Finnabair's work and you did a marvelous job! The layered pieces and the hearts are lovely! The color and the stencil work is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!