Thursday, 6 March 2014

ePlay - Push Your Boundaries !

It's a very exciting day today as we're changing things at eclectic Paperie ! We're altering our challenges in 2014, creating one, month-long challenge, increasing the prize drawing, holding a design team blog hop and including a product discount with each new challenge ! Not only that but there's a new name too

ePlay - Push Your Boundaries ! 

 
We’ve combined our two challenges into one, announced on the first Thursday of each month.  This gives
the design team more flexibility with challenge topics and projects and allows you more time to enter! 
We’ll also feature a product each month, and during the first day of the challenge, you’ll receive a discount on the featured product….be sure to check for the special code! 
Our prize drawing is increasing from $15.00 to a $25.00 gift certificate and the winner of each challenge will be announced on the last Thursday of each month and will be featured on the eP blog. 
Each month we’ll hold a blog hop featuring the beautiful artwork from our design team…just scroll down to the bottom of the post for all of the links!  Talk about inspiration!!
 
Our challenges are about encouraging you to explore your creative journey and inspiring you to step outside of your comfort zone.  When you submit your artwork, share a unique card, scrapbook or journal page, a canvas, home d├ęcor project, or anything that you’re excited to share!  We’re looking forward to crafting with you!
 
Today’s special is on Liquidtex Gesso, including the clear Gesson, and for one day only, you can save 10% on a bottle of gesso…perfect for all of your altered projects!  Simply use code GESSO03 when checking out.
 
This month’s challenge is Alter a Book ! 

 


This is one of my journalling books and I've been meaning to do something with the cover for ages, so this was the perfect opportunity ! I started by sanding the cover to remove the top surface and give the cover some tooth.


I then gave the cover a coat of Gesso, let it dry and then gave it another coat.


I then used the Wendy Vecchi 3 Flourishes stencil with Wendy Vecchi white embossing paste and also one of the new Lin Brown stencils. The letters are Tim Holtz grunge board letters.


I added some embellishments to a couple of the letters and then I painted everything with Stone Fresco Finish paint. Then I started to build up layers of paint, starting with Taupe Fresco Finish paint and using a baby wipe and a circular motion.


I used a brush to get the paint into the dips and around the edges of the letters, blending the paint with a baby wipe.


My thought for this cover was to re-create an old leather bound book, so to warm the colours up I used Brown Shed Freso Finish paint, again using a brush to get in to the detail and then blending the paint with a baby wipe.


This is the reverse of the book, and I've used a Lin Brown stencil for the leaves with Wendy Vecchi's embossing paste and added more texture by patting the paste with a spatula.


The final two colours of Fresco Finish paint are Chocolate Pudding and French Roast. French Roast really adds the depth and I concetrated it around the letters and stencilling.


I coated the whole thing with Satin Glaze to give a subtle sheen which I felt would really give it the feel of leather.


To finish I added a filigree metal piece to the spine, I wanted to keep the embellishments to a minimum as this is a book I will use often so didn't want to risk knocking them off !

I totally loved making this project and love how it's turned out. Make sure you join the hop and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !

24 comments:

  1. Fabulous effects here Sue, love the layering of the paints and the added textures, it turned out perfectly xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous altered book - it really does look old - I adore it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a great altered book. Fantastic texture and effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had not known I would have thought this was real leather. You have created the most wonderful cover, love the textures! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, I really, really, really think this is amazing! Just blown away by your creativity!! I want one just like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out beautifully--it looks more like real leather than real leather does!! Have fun filling it with art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic transformation! Beautifully done , love it ! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Sue! This is OUTSTANDING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really looks like leather. Absolutely stunning!!!! I need some of that paint, lo..... beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally fabulous and totally looks like leather!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no need to embellish something that looks this good - a stunning piece of work, Sue - absolutely brilliant paintwork to create that antique leather look. I love it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loooove it, just like a magical book from years gone by Sue...stunning!!!
    Big hugs
    Tracy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, one word Amazing! love it. Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This altered book is beautiful. Love all of the texture you built onto the book and the color layering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just LOVE how you made this look like Leather, Sue, and the metal on the spine is a great detail! Just FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Sue L, love the leather look on this fab journal. So many wonderful details and really enjoyed looking at your process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw this one on EP... holy mackerel! I love everything about it, Sue. What a gorgeous transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful!!! I love the effect you've achieved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just adore the warm leathery look of your journal cover, Sue! It's totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great cover and I can't wait to try it out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag where you can find Videos, Gif Images, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Visit for any Online Jobs from Home
    OnlineJobs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Latest Automotive Information with Pictures, latest speedy cars, top vehicles
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!