Thursday, 1 May 2014

We're all about stencils !

Today is the start of the next ePlay challenge over at eclectic Paperie and this time the lovely Erin has challenged us to use stencils but to use them in a different way.



I wasn't sure where I was going with this challenge at first but I wanted to incorporate the above print that I did when I was playing with my Gelli Plate recently.


I managed to die cut three tags from the one print and so used one of these as my starting point.


I did some stencilling on the tag usign Fresco Finish acrylic paints, layering them up.


Then I decided to see if I could create a simple Zentangle style background using a stencil. The stencil that I've used is the TCW Garden Gate stencil and I've used a black pen to just draw around the shapes.


I checked out some Zentangle examples and then started to doodle ! I'm sure that I could have done alot more but as this was my first attempt keeping it simple was the key for me.


I blended Distress Ink around the edge of the page and also around the edge of the tag. I've used the gorgeous Scribbly Birds stamp set for both the bird and the image. The leaves are some die cuts that I used on another Gelli print and were just lying on my desk top. I used Distress Ink on the little bird cage too then used Embossing Ink and clear EP. I rubbed a little of the powder off before heating so that, when it was cool I could rub some Walnut Stain DI over it.


The flowers are wooden and I've dabbed some Fresco Finish paint onto them. To give the bird a little more definition I've used some watercolour pencils to add some scribbly coloring.

I quite like this in the end, I wasn't sure if the background would be too busy, but as usual I've covered most of it up so I needn't have worried !

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and look forward to seeing where you take your stencils !

14 comments:

  1. Fab effects Sue! Love this! Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! what a marvelous background you've created Sue! I've got to go back up and study your design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Sue! This is gorgeous!!!!! Your tag, your Zentangle background! I love it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning work Sue - I loved the gelli creation - wonderful effects - will have to try blocking with mine - the finished piece is amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Gorgeous finished piece and thankyou for showing all those different ways with stencils! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous use of stencils here! I love the ones you choose and the colors! Beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like this creation (well always like your creations!), such a clever use of stencils and it just works beautifully. Will have to get that bird stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO cool, Sue! I love how you "tangled" the traced stencil for your background! And that Gelli print is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your zentangle Sue. I definitely applaud you for stepping out and trying one as I myself are too afraid lol.

    {{hugs}}
    Andiepants

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue...your stenciling on your tags is amazing. Love the colors and the patterns. But you Zentangle background... Now THAT is over the top amazing. Your art is always very special. Thank you so much for the very sweet compliments that you left about my ATB. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh love love love the colors and how you alternated the stencil! The tangled background is awesome and combined with the tag - it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your different layers~ ALL are Gorgeous! And Fab topped off with that bird and flowers! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!