Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Words, words, words

Today is the turn of the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie DT to share their projects for the current challenge of Words, words, words, which I am hosting. I have taken the opportunity to put a word right at the heart of today's project!



This is what I started with, an MDF cut out shape of the word 'home'. 



I gave the piece a light sanding and then painted it with Fresco Finish paints, using a lighter colour for the inside and outside edges. 



I then, very carefully, spread a layer of Wendy Vecchi's Crackle Paste over the front. When it was dry I then used Hydrangea, Cornflower Blue and Watering Can Archival inks and blended the colours over the Crackle Paste. 


I decided I didn't want to do any stamping as the crackled surface was exactly the finish I was looking for, so instead I used embellishments for the detail. 



This gorgeous butterfly is one the Prima Ingvild Bolme collection and I've very lightly brushed some Fresco Finish paint over it and wiped it back with a baby wipe to just leave a hint of colour. The butterfly tile is also by Prima and I've given it a light brush of paint too.


The large number 3 button is again by Prima and it's also had a little paint brushed over it. I had one or two Melissa Frances swirls that I've had for a while and I thought they would fit with the shabby style I was aiming for.

The large flower is resin and I've painted it with Space Cadet Fresco Finish paint then lightly brushed it with Chalk FF. The clock face and the number 2 have also been brushed with Chalk Fresco Finish paint. The foliage is die cut from white card using the Spring Greenery die and I've used Stormy Sky DI around the edges.


This really cute little flower is one of the new embellishments that Linda is now stocking in The Funkie Junkie Boutique and it's just perfect for filling in those little spaces when a little 'something' is required. I've painted it and then glued a small pearl into the centre.

We've still got another week before the end of the challenge so I hope you can join us !


15 comments:

  1. What an absolute joy of a project Sue! You've got that crackled surface looking so good and I love how the colours add even more depth and dimension to this superb home decor piece. Don't those Prima embellishments look fabulous the way you've 'pimped' them too! I hope this takes pride of place in your new home. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue, this is sooooo pretty! Love the colours, love the crackle, love the embellishment, love it all!! A really gorgeous piece of home decor!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so beautiful, those shades of blue just gorgeous on the crackle background and no stamping required. Definitely inspired, thanks Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sue, this is gorgeous. I love how you've used the texture as a major feature with the monochromatic palette and the composition is so effective. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A truly beautiful piece of home decor art Sue! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. super crackle - a beautiful piece - love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Sue! I love the crackle finish and the colors and embellishments are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You create the best home decor items. Love the crackle finish and the super embellishments.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the shades of blue! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous mix of colours and crackle effect. Lovely piece of home decor. Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an absolute delight, Sue. I agree with your decision not to stamp on the crackle. It is perfect the way it is! Love the color and all the wonderful embellishments. Super take on the Words challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beyond Gorgeous Sue! I am in awe of this transformation and your creativity! Absolutely Magical!

    Amy*

    ReplyDelete
  13. you have created another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, your project is totally stunning!! The coloring, cracle finish, and beautiful embellishing you have done are over the top amazing!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your word project Sue! with the pretty blues, the crackle and all the adornments!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!