Wednesday, 3 September 2014

A Summer Garden !

Today is the turn of the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie team to share their projects for the current challenge A Summer Garden. I've really enjoyed having sunflowers in the house this summer and thinking about this and also having doors and windows open gave me the idea for this project.


I started by covering a piece of grey board or chipboard with Humungo double sided sticky sheets. I used my brayer to make sure that it was well and truly stuck.


I removed the backing from the sticky sheets then used a piece of fine cotton fabric and brayered it onto of the tape.



To make sure it was stuck down firmly I brayered the fabric. There were a couple of wrinkles but with what I had in mind it didn't matter.



I gave the fabric a wash of watered down Fresco Finish paint, dried it off and then stencilled on top with Snowflake Fresco Finish paint. I've used Wendy Vecchi's 2 Fancy Flowers stencil, the 12 x 12 Prima rose stencil and a PaperArtsy stencil for the leaves. 




I then decided that I didn't want all of the stencilling to be flat so I replaced the stencils over some of the images and used Wendy Vecchi's Embossing Paste. This now added a further dimension to the background. Once the paste was dry I brushed over the top with more watered down Fresco Finish paint, starting to build up the colour around the corners and edges.


I continued brushing paint on and blending it using the brush in a vertical movement, also starting to add more colours now.



I then die cut 3 arches using the Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers Sized Arches die. I taped them together across the back and then brushed watered down paint over them. I then used Wendy Vecchi's brick stencil and stencilled over the top using more Fresco Finish paint.



I then used the Wendy Vecchi's Vintage Floral stencil and stencilled over the bricks, I outlined the flower with a black Fudeball pen, which you'll see in a later photograph. I also stencilled the little bird from the same stencil, which again you'll see on a later photograph.


I drew around the arch pieces onto some cardboard and cut the shape out, painted it with Fresco Finish paint and stamped over it using a script stamp. The foliage is die cut using the Tim Holtz Garden Greens die and I've painted them using Fresco Finish paints.



I did some more stencilling over the background before I started to added any embellishments and you can still see the first lot of stencilling as the paint acts as a resist to later layers.



The large flower has been made using the Tim Holtz Jumbo Tattered Floral die and I've die cut several shapes and then swiped Ripe Persimmon and Wild Honey Distress Stains on my craft mat, spritzed it with water before scrunching the flowers in the liquid. I left the shapes hanging over Distress Stain bottles while they dried so they would be in a cup shape ready for layering. The little flower you can see is by Melissa Frances and has been painted and the lock again is by Melissa Frances but this time I've brushed Treasure Gold over it.




The little butterfly and bird are by Melissa Frances and they've both been painted with Fresco Finish paint. The words have been created using the Tim Holtz Lower Case Block Talk die. I've die cut the letters from card board and then painted with Fresco Finish paints.



Here's the finished piece, the bird cage is a wooden Kaisercraft one that I've had for quite some time. I've painted it and the little plastic flowers are also painted with Fresco Finish paint. 

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge !




17 comments:

  1. What a fabulous creation Sue. The glorious colours and the textures make me want to touch it. Love it. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful painted 'canvas' Sue. It has a fantastic tropical garden feel and reminds me of Henri Rousseau's 'Surprised!' painting. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful, the blended background is superb! You do that so well and so many lovely elements....great addition of brick wall! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally stunning Sue, it has such an enchanted garden feel! Some super creative ideas on this one, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have captured the feeling of a hot summer so beautifully with this piece of art Sue. Stunning background.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is just beautiful Sue - I adore it! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a wonderful project! I love all the techniques you used and the colors are perfect for a late summer garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic piece, Sue. I really love the way you build up your layers. Love the fabric base. This has a wonderful tropical jungle feel to it. Very beautiful!

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous piece of art Sue, I adore the wonderful rich Autumnal like colours and their vibrancy too. I love the fabric and wonderful texture too. The arches look fabulous within your design. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is a beautiful piece Sue, the colours are so warm and lively, I love how you used the fabric and the wall you created is stunning! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous project, lovely vibrant summer colours.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue, I am totally speechless! If you hadn't shared your process I never would have imagined how you achieved this wondrous piece of art! To say I love it would be a huge understatement. Beautiful in every way!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful garden Sue, I love the fabric background and all the wonderful layers you have used to achieve such a stunning result. Let's hope we have an Indian summer now.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just fantastic. I love the vibrant colours. I just love everything about it. Take Care.
    Christine in Darcy.....xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!