Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Heart and Soul

It's time for the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie DT to share their projects for the current challenge. Trace is the host for this challenge and has chosen From the Heart.  Here's what Trace has to say:

Your challenge is to create a vintage project that has hearts as the focal image; you could make a dimensional piece, a card, ATC or tag, as long as hearts are the main focus.

 
I spotted this wooden heart in a local garden centre and I loved the shape, which I know sounds funny, but some hearts, well they're just not the right heart shape ! It was already distressed and I liked the neutral background so mixed some Fresco Finish paint to match the colour and painted the front.


I then used the Wendy Vecchi stencils 3 Flourishes and the 2 Fancy Flowers with Fresco Finish paints, building the shades of blue up layer by layer.




The crown is a Melissa Frances embellishment and I've painted it with Fresco Finish paint and then brushed Treasure Gold over the top. The letters are die cut using the lower case Block Talk die from cardboard and then painted with Fresco Finish paint. I've added a little key charm and a Tim Holtz Heart Charm. The ribbon is remnants of seam binding and I've dyed them with Faded Jeans Distress Stain. The script is an Artistic Outpost stamp and I've used Cornflower Blue Archival ink.


The large flower is made using the Jumbo Tattered Floral die. I put some Faded Jeans Distress Stain on my craft mat, spritzed it with water and then scrunched the die cut flowers in the liquid. I then left the flowers to dry hanging over the top of Distress Stain bottles to give them some shape. When they were dry I layered them up and then brushed some Treasure Gold over the edges of the petals. The smaller flower you can just see is a Melissa Frances embellishment which I've painted with Fresco Finish paint and again brushed over the edges with Treasure Gold.

I hope you can join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the Frilly and Funkie blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.

12 comments:

  1. I picked up a couple of these too Sue and now feel thoroughly inspired to get and alter it! Such a beautiful look with the stencilling. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful heart creation Sue. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love your beautiful heart, - really like those soft blue tones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Sue, I really love the Wendy flower and flourish stencils you used and the blues look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the colors you chose are just perfect! I adore your blue seam binding bow and the flower you made. Thanks for sharing how you made it. It's really lovely and is a overall beautiful wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning project! I love the colour of blue you chose and your stamps are gorgeous! That flower is spectacular, just love it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is terrific! I love altered pieces that can actually serve a beautiful purpose....not just collect dust. Love the color...love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shape of the heart shape too Sue and the fabulous stencilled layers. Great alteration and thank you for sharing the how to

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fantastic heart with great details. Love the color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An absolute delight, Sue. Lovely color palette and inspired use of the Wendy Vecchi stencils. This would make a fantastic gift! Super take on this week's challenge.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blue on white color palette for your beautiful heart, Sue! It puts me in mind of an 18th century Chinese export china pattern. Gorgeous stenciling work as well. Gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!