Thursday, 30 October 2014

Any Old Iron at ATP Exchange !

Can you believe we're already on our 3rd challenge over at ATP Exchange ! What a fabulous challenge Ruth has set for us for the next 2 weeks too ! Here's what she has to say :

For our next challenge I have a photo inspiration! When I was on holiday recently I just had to take a picture of the texture on this wonderfully rusty door on the harbour, so the theme this time is based on Rust....use the lovely rusty colours of orange, brown, even reds or maybe rusting techniques..rusting powder...embossing powders...or maybe that wonderful knobbly, bobbly texture is inspiring? Interpret how you like as long as we can see how you have been inspired. 

I loved the bumpy texture of this photo and also the colours, I can almost see some blue and purple in there !


I started with one of the Collage MDF frames from ATP and gathered together lots of bits and pieces. I was intrigued by the Bead Gel that Ruth had used on a recent Exchange Day post which you can find here. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the gel so searched around my craft room and found a small pot of tiny beads. I then spread some Golden Regular Gel (Matte) over the corners and sprinkled the tiny beads over it. I then carried on gluing all of the random pieces onto the frame.


Apologies, I got carried away and forgot to take photos as I went along ! I wanted to try and reproduce the rust colour, as much as possible. I started by painting everything with Stone Fresco Finish paint then moved on to Irish Cream but I added Satin Glaze to the paint to make it translucent. The next layer was Brown Shed and again I've mixed Satin Glaze into the paint to make it translucent. I then used French Roast but only in in certain areas.


Once the paint was dry I then mixed Pretty Peridot Luminarte paint with Love Struck which created a lovely rusty brown and I painted it over the top ove the Fresco Finish paint.



I then stamped around the edge of the frame and on the background space using a Tim Holtz stamp with Coffee Archival ink. I stamped the word Dream from the Tim Holtz Stuff to Say set onto some card that I'd blended Distress Ink over and then glued it to the back of a Tim Holtz Ornate Plate.



Here's a close up of the tiny beads stuck into the Golden Gel, I added some Periwinkle Luminarte Paint just on the corners.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and do make sure you hop over to the ATP Exchange blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !




13 comments:

  1. This is always such a cool technique and your finished piece looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the richness and your collage effect Sue. Stunning.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Sue! It's amazing how you made everything look like rusted metal, with just some paints and glaze! What an incredible make! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how this has turned out, its like rich rusty mahogany but I could see those colours as well and didn't the beads work out so well! Gorgeous as always Sue! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up and love your last creations. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word...SO GORGEOUS!!! I love every textural bit and deep color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love how you built up your layers. I'm always amazed how this technique of using random things together works so well when you start applying the colours. Love how you used the purple/blue tones from Ruth's picture too. A really wonderful take on the challenge.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome piece Sue, love the design and of course the fantastic rust textures and colours.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH wow Sue what amazing texture and colours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is oustanding!!! What a unique style you have.I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the wonderful elements of your project Sue. The colours are beautiful and the texture you created is stunning. Fabulous
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous work, wonderful theme. You guys completely persuaded me to join in the fun with your amazing inspiration for this challenge. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gorgeous, Sue, as always! Pinning to admire another day...

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!