Thursday, 2 October 2014

Artist Trading Post Exchange 1st challenge !

Hello and welcome to a very exciting day today as it's the first ever challenge for Artist Trading Post Exchange ! I'm the host for this first challenge and I've made it nice and simple to begin with and have chosen Anything Mixed Media Goes !

We are a fortnightly, mixed media challenge and all projects are welcome as long as they follow this theme and include some stamping but no digis ! Artist Trading Post is our sponsor and there is a £10 voucher up for grabs to the winner, so no excuse for not getting your hands inky !


I've had this book box for ages now and have been changing my mind regularly as to what to make with it. Then an idea popped into my head and I was away ! I started by giving the whole thing a coat of Vanilla mixed with Nougat Fresco Finish paint so I had a neutral base to start from. I cut up a plastic place mat that I picked up from a discount shop and glued it to the box. Then I tore up some tissue paper and covered it with PVA glue and added it to the front and back. When it was dry I then started to paint !



I used Stone, Moccha Mousse and Chocolate Pudding with some Inky Pool Fresco Finish paints.



The embellishments on the front have also been painted with Inky Pool and brushed with a little Classic Treasure Gold. The centre panel is PaperArtsy Smoothy card and I used an old tea bag to colour it first of all. Then I used the TCW Specimen stencil   the Mini Ledger and the Bingo stencil. The text is from the Tim Holtz Good Thoughts set and I've stamped the heart with Red Geranium Archival ink onto some kraft card.




Inside the box I've added a concertina file made from kraft card, a place to keep safe all of those treasured photos. It took a little working out to get the right size etc but I'm really pleased with the end result ! The paper on the front of the file is from the Lost and Found collection and I've added a couple of chit chat stickers,


I've used seam binding to hold the file closed when the box is shut which is secured behind it.


The panel on the opposite site is made using a technique that I have fallen in love with ! I started by brayering some kraft card with Fresco Finish paints. Then I randomlystamped over the paint and when it was all dry I used a Prima stencil and Golden Regular Gel Medium. Once the gel was dry I then brushed over the top with Vanilla Fresco Finish paint and wiped it back with a baby wipe. The sentiment is also from the Good Thoughts set and is stamped onto card brayered with Fresco Finish paint. I added two metal corners and mounted it onto more kraft card.

I hope you are able to join us for our first challenge ! Do make sure you hop over to the Artist Trading Post Exchange blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !


10 comments:

  1. This is a real beauty Sue and right up my street! I love the texture you've created and those grungy colours are stunning. So excited to be working with you on this team!
    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sue, just gorgeous! Love those colours and all that amazing texture! Fabulous idea for the inside, so creative! Congrats on your new DT, what an asset you will be to the team! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning project Sue....wonderful textures and layers of paints and the inside is fabulous. Love that amazing file..........superb.

    Great to be alongside you on this fabulous DT

    Crafty hugs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sue, what a fabulous project, not just an outside but an inside, but wouldn't expect anything less from you. Love this creation, and I'm going to have to try the brayering technique, I've seen you use it a few times now, with fabulous results! So proud to be part of the team with you.....fab start! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome project Sue, the textures, layers and details both outside and with the file to store special items look fantastic. I am thrilled to be part of your team.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outside is stunning Sue and I love how you used that brayering technique inside, it looks fabulous. Well done on bringing such a talented team of designers together, I hope you all have lots of fun! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Sue, I do like a useful project. The techniques are brilliant.
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Sue what an amazing project - so much to see - love it

    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very excited to hear about your new adventure with ATP, Sue (sorry I'm late catching up!) - and what an amazing project. Fabulous colours and textures - beautiful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!