Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Autumn Colours

Today is the start of the second week of the current Frilly and Funkie challenge which is being hosted by myself. I love the season of Autumn and every year I am amazed by the beautiful colours that surround us during these months. So, the challenge is to use these wonderful colours on your project, simple as that !


I decided on altering a dress form that I bought from a local garden centre. I painted the stand with Chocolate Pudding Fresco Finish paint and covered the body with torn up pieces of old book pages.


I then painted the body with differnt shades of green Fresco Finish paint. As leaves are a huge part of Autumn I decided to use them as the 'dress' for the body. I die cut lots of leaves using the Tim Holtz Jumbo Tattered Floral die from Kraft Glassine paper and then screwed them all up ! This gives them a wonderful veined appearance and also makes the surface uneven, perfect for rubbing Orange Blossom Archival ink over.


I then glued them in to place layering them from the waist down and gluing them the other way up around the front. I made the necklace from some Ideaolgy chain and attached different little charms and a leaf. The ribbon is seam binding that's been dyed using Ripe Persimmon Distress Stains and then sprayed with water so the colour varies.


Getting the right length for the necklace meant I had some chain left over at the back but rather than cut it off I left it the same length and attached a little shoe charm.


At the base I made a rose, again using the Jumbo Tattered Floral die, dying the card with Squeezed Lemon and Spiced Marmalade Distress Stains. I then edged the leaves with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The flower has been nestled on top of 3 Kraft Glassine leaves.

There's still a week to go for the current challenge so I hope you find time to join us and do make sure you hop over to Frilly and Funkie and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.


12 comments:

  1. I love how you've transformed this mannequin Sue with that glassine dress and the flower at the base. The necklace then finishes it beautifully. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue, what a fabulous make, love the idea of this and the way you have put it together looks fantastic! Love the glassine leaves skirt, wonderful make!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a stunning project, fabulous idea! A great keepsake this one or gift! Thanks for following me too. Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dress form! Using the glassine for the leaves is a great idea! And, her necklace is perfect! Beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your mannequin and the crunchy leaves dress are fab along with your metal embellishments finish it off beautifully. It's like an Autumn Fairies dress.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous alteration, the leaves look amazing, so realistic.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally BRILLIANT, Sue! It's drop dead gorgeous and so perfect for this challenge. You did a stunning job on this. What a great inspiration for our visitors. Loved your challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's a beauty!!! LOVE her leaf skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! I have a similar mannequin that has been coverd in book pages but couldn't think of what to do next.....you may have started a fashion trend, a leafy dress is definitely on the cards. Just beautiful. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, this is absolutely gorgeous! Love the way you used the kraft glassine. Off to pin this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of many glorious creations I've missed while busy with real life... Wow and double wow! Absolutely gorgeous.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!