Wednesday, 29 October 2014

With Sincere Thanks !

I'm here today to share my DT piece for the Funkie side of the Frilly and Funkie team. Rebecca has challenged us to make a project where we are showing gratitude, as we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK I've opted for a thank you card with a little gift.


Just to warn you now, you may need a cuppa this is quite a long post !


I started with the background for the card, and blended Peacock Feathers, Seedless Preserves and Dusty Concord Distress Inks over some white card. I purposely did some blocking on the top with Seedless Preserves, then flicked water over the ink.


I had a piece of card that I'd already used a Prima stencil with some Wendy Vecchi embossing paste. As my Spray Distress Stains haven't arrived yet, I decanted some Seedless Preserves and Peacock Feathers Distress Stains into two mister bottles and spritzed the card.


I then, very lightly, rubbed some White Fire Treasure Gold over the raised areas.


While having a sort out recently I came across some die cut felt which I quite liked but it was the wrong colour for this project. So, I dabbed it with Embossing Ink and then sprinkled it with Watering Can Embossing Powder. The EP was sucked into the felt as it melted and left a matt metallic finish.


I used Forget Me Not Archival ink and stamped the lace border from the Wendy Vecchi Say it with Art set on the background and used a white Sharpie pen to add some dots. I then spritzed some more Seedless Preserves Distress Stain along each side. The main image is from the same stamp set and is stamped onto a piece of card that I'd used to mop up the Seedless Preseves Distress Stain. I've stamped with black Archival ink and heat embossed with clear embossing powder. To make the image stand out I've used my Sharpie pen again and drawn around the image. I stamped the lace across the bottom and on the top 2 corners using Watering Can Archival ink. I then dabbed the edges onto the Embossing Ink and then into Watering Can Embossing Powder to create an embossed edge. I used the same technique for the sentiment, which is also from the Say it with Art set.


The dragonfly, button and little embellishment below the flower have all been pressed onto the Embossing Ink pad and then covered with Watering Can Embossing Powder.


The trio of pots started life as one of those strong cardboard tubes that photographs are posted in. I used a saw to cut 3 pieces of different heights. (Interestingly my other half didn't bat an eye when he heard sawing coming from my craft room!) I then sanded them to smooth off the edges.


I then used a Prima stencil which I held around the tube while I spread Wendy Vecchi's white embossing paste over it. I did this on all three tubes then painted them inside and out with acrylic paint.


I cut three lids and painted them first of all with acrylic paint, then mixed a little of the same colour with Wendy Vecchi's Crackle Texture Paste and left them to dry.


Once they had dried and cracked I edged them with Tissue Tape to neaten the edges. I then used black acrylic paint and some cut 'n' dry and dabbed it onto the metal embellishments for the lids.


The flowers for each lid were made using the Tim Holtz Jumbo Tattered Flower die and I cut a base for the pots from mount board and painted it with acrylic paint before gluing the pots into place.


Here's an aerial view, I've also edged the pots with Tissue Tape again to neaten them up.

I hope you've enjoyed today's projects, and made it to the end ! There's still time for you to join us for this challenge and do hop over to the Frilly and Funkie blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects.


11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Sue, be back to visit this one! Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! Love how you used those postal tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, Sue!
    these look just awesome!
    thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Sue, this is simply stunning. I love the colors, especially the blues and purples combined. Fantastic work with texture and I got a giggle from your description of sawing the tubes! Great job!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Great idea using the postal tube. I thought at first glance you had used clay flower pots:)) Love the colors and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, super project. I am loving all that texture. Hehe... I love how you say Cuppa. Is this a cuppa tea perhaps? We should say cuppa in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sue, this is fantastic! I love how the embossed felt piece turned out, what a great result! The colours you used really go well together and you used one of my all time favourite Prima stencils and did it proud!! I love the lids and the wonderful little dragonfly! Such an amazing project and thanks for the walk-through too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love a good recycling project! And I LOVE yours! Such pretty colors, and the card is fabulous with all it's texture! That felt lace is the most fantastic result! Gotta love those trials and wins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sue, love the gorgeous background you created with the stencil and inks on the card and also on the tubes. What a great gift. I did smile at your other half not batting an eyelid - mine never questions all the noises that come out of my craft room either!! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheer genius Sue!!! I love that card completely - great idea with altering the felt embellishment that way - and your tube pots are sensational. I love that your other half is no longer surprised by any of the goings on in your craft room! Mine just shudders when I go in the garage looking through his tools!!! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the purples and blues on your card and packages Sue! lovely texture and decoration as well!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!