Wednesday, 12 November 2014

It's all about Wendy !

Today we start the second week of the current challenge over at Frilly and Funkie, which is 'It's all about Wendy!' The lovely Jenny is our host and has set us the challenge to create a project in the style of the uber talented Wendy Vecchi ! Now as you may have noticed, I quite like using Wendy's products so when I saw the theme my mind went into a complete spin with so many different ideas ! But, in the end, I settled on using some Art Journal Covers which I'd been waiting for the right time to use.There's rather a lot to share so you may need a biscuit as well as your cuppa today !


I'm actually sharing this project in reverse order as I didn't taken any staged photos of the front cover. I started by painting the art parts with Vanilla Fresco Finish acrylic paint. I gave them 2 coats to be sure there was good coverage. I then used masking tape and stencilled with Snowflake Fresco Finish using the Wendy Vecchi Add a Stencil.


I carefully removed the tape and repositioned it and then used the Ornate Dots Overlay stencil again using Snowflake Fresco Finish


I then gave the cover a wash of Pumpkin Soup Fresco Finish, drying it and then doing the same again to build up the colour but as it's watered down the stencilling still shows through.


I then replaced the maksing tape and used the Add a Stencil again but this time with Embossing ink and Orange Blossom Embossing Powder. I slightly off set the stencil from the previous layer so it still shows through.


I then did some stamping in the centre part of the cover using the From A to Z background stamp and Potting Soil Archival ink. I added a little more stencilling with the Add a Stencil and Tree Branch Archival ink. Before doing any more I used the Sunburst stencil and used Dandelion, Orange Blossom, Tree Branch and Potting Soil Archival inks. Starting with Dandelion and gradually getting darker and working towards the centre of the stencil.


I then masked off the Sunburst and used the Ornate Dots Overlay stencil using Potting Soil Archival ink. I also used the Dots and Dashes background stamp using the same ink.


I stamped the flower from the Daisy Art set and the sentiment is from the Approved Art set. The little bird is from the License Plate Art set. The star is also from this set, I used Orange Blossom Embossing Powder on a piece of plain card then stamped the star on to it and cut it out. I then reheated the powder so that it would smooth off the cut edges.



You can see the star a little better on the above photo. I then masked off the top and bottom borders and used Potting Soil Archival along the edge and then around the whole of the cover.



The front cover was put together in much the same way, except I've blended Orange Blossom, Tree Branch and Potting Soil Archival inks around the inside of the circle (which is made by drawing around a lid and cutting it out and using both negative and positive parts.) I've also used he Basket Weave stamp in the centre.



The lettering is made using the Lower Case Block Talk die and some cardboard. I've then used the Fern Green and Orange Blossom Embossing Powders. While the powders were still wet I sprinkled more on so that the letters are nice and rounded. The stars are from the License Plate Art set and I've stuck one onto a Tim Holtz Game Piece and used black Archival ink around the edge of it. I drew around the edge of the circle with a Fude Ball pen. The handle and the little metal flourish are from Linda's Boutique.

This project was a joy to put together and using Wendy's products is always a pleasure ! You don't have to use Wendy's products for this challenge, but this must be the perfect excuse to buy some !

Do make sure you hop over to the Frilly and Funkie blog to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !



10 comments:

  1. Love this Sue! So many wonderful layers of inking and embossing. Beautiful design and color palette too. You are going to so enjoy using this to store Wendy's stamps!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great! I love the colors & the embossing. that really makes it pop!
    well done! looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just knew you'd create something special for this challenge. The layering of paint and stencilling has given the covers such a depth of design and I love those vintage colours. The lettering looks superb too. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this Sue! The stenciling, the design, the purpose...all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous result Sue! Can tell you loved doing this. Love the stamping on the back cover as much as those glossy vibrant letters on the front. Wonderful! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning Sue - I really want to find time to play in this challenge! Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful book covers Sue, love the bright lettering as well as all the fantastic details.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really beautiful. I love the color choices and all the design elements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Sue , adore the lettering and the stencilled backdrop! very eye catching. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!