Thursday, 13 November 2014

Stencil Mania !

Today we start the new challenge over at ATP Exchange and this time the lovely Julia has chosen Stencil Mania ! This is music to my ears, I seem to reach for my stencils every time I sit down to craft these days, I just love them ! I took the opportunity to have a go at making a journal from scratch. I'd seen a fabulous binding method over on the very talented Darcy's blog and was itching to have a go.



I started with two pieces of mount board and covered them with torn up pieces from an old book. Then I used a Prima stencil with Golden Regular Matt glue on both front and back covers. When this was dry I painted them with Luminarte paints. As these paints are translucent the writing on the book paper still shows through. I left it a couple of days before I rubbed Treasure Gold around the edges and over the corners as the Luminarte Paints need this time to cure properly.


I made the Signatures to go inside the journal from a pad of watercolour paper as I wanted something that would stand up to lots of liquid ! The stitch I've used to bind the journal is Coptic Stitch, there are loads of tutorials on You Tube, it is really easy once you get going and the thing I love the most is that your pages sit flat when you open your book.



To finish the covers I added an elastic fastener to the rear cover and then sewed a button to the front.


I then started on the first page using Colour Bloom sprays. I started spraying and then thought that I ought to protect the paper a little so added a coat of clear Gesso. I've used a Viva stencil with Colour Bloom sprays, Luminarte Paint and Fresco Finish paint.


I then used the Lin Brown leaf stencil with Fresco Finish paints, layering the paint and drying between layers.


One of my favourite stencils in the TCW Bingo stencil, so I've added a few numbers here and ther on the page. The TCW Onion Skin is also a favourite and I used it with some Chocolate Pudding Fresco Finish paint.


I then moved on to do some stamping and used the Tim Holtz Distress Damask stamps using Coffee Archival ink and the numbers are from the Mercantile set. The butterflies are from the Papillon set.



I used a black Fude Ball pen to outline the numbers and a white Sharpie pen to highlight the leaves.


I found this quote on the internet and thought what a brilliant thought for the first page of my new journal. I really want to do more lettering on my journal pages so I've decided that this new journal will be where I start on that journey.

The rest of the DT have made some stunnig projects for this challenge so do make sure you hop over and check them out at the ATP Exchange blog.


15 comments:

  1. Fabulous book, Sue!! Love the colours and all your stencilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Sue, the journal itself looks fantastic and I adore your first page!! Great quote too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sue, not one piece of art but two! Is that coptic stitching and signatures I see? Looks amazing, will HAVE to try that. The covers are gorgeously textured and adore the tones created on your journal page. Just want to touch all that wonderful texture. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW gorgeous - love your lettering for the great quote x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love this Sue! I really love the way you made the front cover and those Luminarte paints will have to go on my wish list too! I'm intrigued by bookbinding and I love that you've made this journal from scratch. The first page is really stunning and I love the look of the onion skin stencil. Great inspiration for the challenge!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome book making, the colours and textures are fabulous. I love your first page in the journaland its a super quote you found.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning Sue - the colours and textures on the cover are wonderful but I really love your first page. Thanks for some great inspiration! (I have the Luminarte paints but haven't really used them a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your journal Sue. I shall be watching a few vids to see how to construct one of these! Your cover is fabulous with the book pages and stencilling, and it looks like you've gotten off to a great start inside ! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sue I love it. Isn't the stitching method fab!you will be hooked now and making loads of them lol. I really like how the pages lay flat. Great first page too, the quote is perfect. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, bet the queen of stencilling was just a little happy to hear about this theme!!! LOVE that cover and your jungle page. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue, it would help if I read the post thoroughly before I left my comment! Just bobbed back to do so and of course you've mentioned the stitching and signatures! Doh for the second time today! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how much you love stencils and I was so looking forward to seeing this close up - I was not disappointed, this is superb Sue! Love all the texture! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally gorgeous, Sue! I can see how much fun you had making these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is totally gorgeous, sue! Love all the techniques you have developed,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scrumptious page - and that cover!! That's a technique I'll be trying too... thanks for the inspiration as ever.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!