Thursday, 11 December 2014

Let's Celebrate !

Today we're kicking off the next challenge over at Artist Trading Post Exchange. This time the lovely Toni has chosen Let's Celebrate as the theme. To give the team a break over the festive season this challenge will run through to the 7 January so you've got plenty of time to join in !

Here's what Toni has to say:

I certainly hope that everyone has something to celebrate  ! Maybe you're about to celebrate a special birthday, a wedding, new baby or, of course, Christmas ! We would love to see your celebration crafty makes. Your project can take any form, it may be a card, layout or a piece of altered art, just let your imagination fly!




I found this frame among my collection of items to alter.  I started by sanding it lightly as it had a slight varnished finish.


I then gave it  a quick coat of Snowflake Fresco Finish paint and used a TCW snowflake stencil with Grunge Paste.


When the Grunge Paste was dry I painted it with Antartic Fresco Finish paint. The next coat is Clear Gesso and then I painted it with Lake Wanaka Fresco Finish wafted it slightly with my heat gun then rubbed it with a baby wipe. The Gesso forms a sort of resist layer underneath so the paint takes on a distressed look, it also highlights the brushstrokes of the Gesso giving a scratched appearance. I painted it again with Gesso and then used Space Cadet Fresco Finish and did the same thing again the heat gun and baby wipe.


The final colour I used is Marlin  from the Lin Brown limited edition set. I then sanded the snowflakes slightly to reveal some of the Grunge Paste.


I've rubbed White Fire Treasure Gold over the raised areas and around the edges of the centre recess.


The ponsettia is die cut using the Tim Holtz die and I've used Claudine Hellmuth's sticky back canvas on Grunge Paper . I painted the base layer with Marlin and then stamped some Christmas text using Antartic Fresco Finish. The white layers have been stamped with Cornflower Blue Archival ink. The numbers are die cut using the Tim Holtz mini 25 die and I've coated it with White Fire Treasure Gold. The text is die cut using the Tim Holtz strip die and I've used Treasure Gold over this too.


The centre image is stamped onto Smoothy card that's been painted with Antartic Fresco Finish, then a coat of Clear Gesso and then some Lake Wanaka and rubbed with a baby wipe. To finish I added a metal corner which has also been treated to some Treasure Gold.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and make sure you hop over to Artist Trading Post Exchange to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Sue, beautiful,frame and just love how you did the poinsettia. Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful transformation Sue with gorgeous grungy colours and textures! I love the colours you've used and the clear gesso is not something I've used but now that you've brought it to my attention I know that I need it! Textured loveliness which is right up my street.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous Sue!! Wow! You really put that snowflake stencil to good use, this is brilliant! I just love the gold shimmer against the dark aquas, what an eye catching combo! Your poinsettia is amazing too! Love it! holiday hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have transformed the frame beautifully Sue, I love the cool blues and the gorgeous Santa image. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous transformation Sue, love the colour and the snowflakes in the background . Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just so beautiful..the gesso is so useful, love the brush strokes it shows and all those wonderful painty layers...yummy Christmas goodness! Wonderful Sue. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous frame make over, the textures and colours look fantastic. Love the traditional Santa image as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a stunning altered frame, Sue - those gilded snowflakes are simply gorgeous! And that cheery Father Christmas deserves his place at the heart of it.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue your frame is fabulous... Gorgeous effect you achieved by building up different layers of paint. Oh... So impressing. Love it and adore. Thanks for sharing your art.
    Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a marvelous alteration! I ADORE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project! I am absolutely amazed with this beauty! You have a new follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at the third photo! But then it just got better and better! I am so pinning this for future crafting inspiration! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!