I'm back today with my first DT project of the year for ATP Exchange, and I'm also your host for the next 2 weeks ! One of the things that I like to do over the Christmas break is have a good tidy up, put all the Christmas stash away and start thinking about new ideas/projects. With this in mind I've chosen Fresh Beginnings as the theme, take a look through your craft supplies and share with us a new product/technique/ or even a new item to alter !
Remember we are a Mixed Media challenge and and stamping must be included, but no digi images.
Now, our very talented Ruth was dabbling with a technique called Faux Chine Colle before Christmas, you can check out Ruth's post here. This got me thinking and I decided to have a dabble too and use it on the cover for a journal (which if you saw yesterday's post is becoming a favourite thing of mine to do !)
I started by cutting 2 pieces of Greyboard(chipboard) and from this it gave me the size of card I needed to create my Faux Chine Colle.
I've used PaperArtsy
Smoothy card and then I dug out some scraps of paper and tissue paper and collaged them onto the card. So far so good...
I then used some old acrylic paints by DoCrafts that I've had forever with my Gelli Plate and grabbed some stencils and pulled a print. At this point I was 50:50 about scrapping the whole idea and doing something else ! But, I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did !
This is the front cover and one of the stencils I used is a Clarity one where you get both positive and negative. So, I placed the negative (I think that's the right way round!) over the boy with the birds and then stencilled in the detail using Fresco Finish paints, starting to like it alot more now ! I then did some stamping with black Archival ink using some Tim Holtz stamps. Then I used a white Sharpie pen and a black Posca pen to highlight some of the stamping. I also stamped some rings using Chalk and Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint using a hair mousse can lid.
The letters are die cut using the Tim Holtz Lower Case Block Talk alphabet die from cardboard and I then painted the letters with Little Black Dress. The little bird is a die cut from carboard and I've painted it with Little Black Dress too.
I didn't add as much stamping to the rear cover, I liked the collage of paper showing through the Gelli print.
Apologies for the shadow, taking photos at this time of year is a nightmare ! I added some highlights to some of the stamping again using the Sharpie and Posca pens.
This is one technique that I will definitely be using again and I think next time I will use all tissue paper as that seemed to work the best. I now need to make some Signatures and bind it and I'm set to go ! I may even use it for my Inspiration Wednesday pieces that I'm determined to do with Donna Downey !
I hope you get chance to share your Fresh Beginnings with us at ATP Exchange and do make sure you hop over to check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !
...bits and bobs
3 weeks ago