Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Stencil Mania !

We're kicking off the second week of the Frilly and Funkie challenge which I'm hosting, and as you know I love stencils so couldn't resist and chose the theme Stencil Mania !


I started with a flat canvas and painted it with Chalk Fresco Finish paint. I then used the Wendy Vecchi Ornate Dots Overlay stencil with Hey Pesto Fresco Finish paint.


 I replaced the stencil but just moved it slightly to create a slight shadow when stencilling over the top with Guacamole Fresco Finish. I started to build up the layers and next came the Wendy Vecchi Add a Stencil using Green Olives Fresco Finish.


I gave the canvas a wash of watered down Guacamil then used the Dina Wakley Spinners stencil, and layered the colours by stencilling with Chalk, drying it and replacing the stencil.  I did this three times to create a gradient in the colours. I then used Leaf Green Archival ink with the Prima Checkered stencil. The greens really blend together beautifully. 



 I wanted to use a stencil as my focal point and decided to use the gorgeous Wendy Vecchi 2 Fancy Flowers stencil. I started by stencilling with Chalk, and then used the same technique that I used for the spinners. Adding a colour, drying it and replacing the stencil.



Here you can see the first flower finished ! I stencilled two further flowers and then decided that I needed to add another level so stencilled a fourth flower onto some card and cut it out, which you'll see in a later photo.


The flowers needed pots, so I grabbed the Wendy Vecchi Mat Mini's Flower Pots. I used Orange Blossom embossing powder and while I was heating it I sprinkled on some bronze UTEE and some Ultra Thick UTEE to create some texture, I was aiming for terracotta !



 I wanted the pots to look grounded so used a stamp from the Wendy Vecchi Discover Art set with Watering Can Archival ink.



Before gluing the pots in place I did some stamping using the Wendy Vecchi Script and Lots of Leaves background stamps using Fern Green Archival ink. The circles are made using a bottle cap dipped into som Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint.




I used a black pen to outline some of the detail on the cut out stencilled flower and glued it over the top of the middle flower. The butterfly is die cut using hte Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers die and I've painted it with Guacamole Fresco Finish then stamped it with Leaf Green Archival ink using the Wendy Vecchi Reverse Dots background stamp. I added a spinner and a little metal embellishment which I covered with Orange Blossom embossin powder. 



The little bird on the plant pot is die cut from black card using the Tim Holtz cage and bird die. I've added a little stamping across the bottom of the plant pots and these wonderful little metal embellishments that Linda sells on the Funkie Junkie Boutique.



I love Wendy's sentiments so it was a struggle to pick just one, but I settled for this one as it seemed to strike a chord for me. I wanted to highlight the last two words so used a Stabilo pencil and smudged it with my finger before sticking all of the stamped text into place. To finish off I framed the piece using a black Posca pen and drew lines around the edge and added some dots.

I had a blast using my stencils and hope you will too ! Do make sure you hop over to the Frilly and Funkie blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous work.

I'm also entering this project into the Simon Says Monday Challenge which is Anything Goes. 


14 comments:

  1. Superb Sue!!! This is positively gorgeous and demonstrates perfectly how stencilling can look when layered beautifully. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fabulous and you have taught me some new stenciling tricks - I love coming here to visit. Love the colour palette and that sentiment - adding to my wish list here. You did achieve terra cotta with your pots.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my Sue - this step by step is just wonderful - and your finished piece is amazing - beautiful work! Big hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab, Sue! Love your beautiful 3D piece and that wonderful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic stenciling Sue resulting in a beautiful piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the layers and all those stencils you've used!! You are just the queen of stencilling that's for sure - this is beautiful!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow, now that is a stenciled canvas! Amazing results Sue and thanks for the tips and tricks, especially love how you've achieved the gradient look, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, this is really gorgeous!!!! Thanks for the step-outs!! It was great to see the process!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always learn something visiting you! GORGEOUS layers of stencil goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh Sue, this is fantabulous!! You really went all out with the stencils, and what an incredible result! Love your big flower, such a gorgeous focal piece! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful project. Thank you for the kind comment. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those rustic terracotta pots, and the brilliant paint shading on the flower petals - fab!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful, the layering of the different shades of green on the background is a perfect backdrop for those vibrant showy blooms in their terracotta pots. A stunner! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!