Sunday, 31 May 2015

One for my Mum !

Today is a very special day as it's my Mum's birthday ! The family have all gathered together today to sort out Mum's garden, the weather could have been better but at least the torrential rain did stop eventually ! The project that I'm sharing is the card I made for Mum, which is an 8 x 8 card, this is a great size to work on as it gives you so much more scope.


I started off with a piece of Smoothy card and grabbed a selection of Fresco Finish paints. I was thinking 'pretty' for my Mum so I leaned towards to the more pink colours (very unlike me!). I used the brayer technique that Leandra from PaperArtsy has demonstrated on their You Tube channel.  This is a great technique as it not only builds up layers of colour but by brayering the paint you also create a really tactile finish on the card. I did sneak some Limlight Fresco Finish in too just to break up all the pinkness ! (If that's a real word?!?)



Next up was some stencilling ! I used the Tim Holtz Flourish stencil with Sherbert Fresco Finish, which gave an almost watermark effect, then built up the stencilling using a Lin Brown and a Wendy Vecchi stencil.


I then did some stamping using Amethyst Fresco Finish and an Ellen Vargo stamp. The cogs and dots are stamped with Hyacinth Archival ink using second generation stamping and the script, which is a Sara Naumann stamp, is done using Snowflake Fresco Finish,



I've used one of the new JOFY stamp sets forthe flowers, it reminds me of blossom so I guess that's why pink came to mind ! I stamped the stem of flowers once then masked of the flowers and bent the stamp in the opposite direction and stamped it again. The flowers were stamped again onto painted Smoothy card then cut out and I've added exta shading with watered down Amethyst.
 


 The largest flower is a chipboard shape that I've covered with dictionary paper. I gave it a coat of glue to protect the paper then stamped the large flower from the stamp JOFY set on to the chipboard shape. I've then painted it with Limelight and a touch of Amethyst. I've added some white dots with Snowflake Freco Finish. I stamped a border of grasses using more JOFY stamps and also Lin Brown stamps and Iv'e painted them with Limelight Fresco Finish. The border across the bottiom is a Wendy Vecchi stamp and I've added some little purple pearls.



 The lace is from my stash and was donatd by my lovely crafty friend Ruth. I've added a filigree metal piece and stuck a little clock to the front, both are from The Funki Junkie Boutique. The little paper flower is painted with Limelight and the lacey button (another Ruth donation!) was painted with Sherbert.


I know my Mum loves words that mean something on her cards and I thought this one from a Wendy Vecchi stamp set was perfect !

I really love how this turned out and I know my Mum loved it too so job done !


11 comments:

  1. Just fabulous! Love all the layers of paint , the stencilling and stamping, wonderful piece of art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sublime...stunning background, all the elements are perfectly built up to a card that is.....GORGEOUS!!!! Pinning! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fabulous. Love all the layers of stamping, ink and paint.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous card for your Mum, the paint layers and stencils look amazing.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely stunning Sue - I have my mums card to make for her nirthday so this is a wonderful inspiration for me - thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another gorgeous birthday card for your Mom with a fabulous colour palette and your wonderful stamping and stenciling. I can see why she loved it. Glad the day turned around so you could get her garden sorted out. I am still working on mine a bit at a time thanks to my bad back. Since it went from 28C yesterday to 9C and rain today, I stayed inside and broke out a sweater.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful card, I am sure your Mum loved it!! Hope you've got the mud off now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card! The background, the colours and all those scrummy flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card Sue with wonderful details and techniques. I am sure it will be treasured by your mum.

    Tfs and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful and heartfelt card Sue, happy belated birthday to your Mum!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!