Thursday, 7 May 2015

Three of a kind !

Today we are kicking off the next challenge over at Stamps and Stencils. We had a fabulous response to our first challenge and the winners and top 3 will be announced on Tuesday 12 May.So, now onto the new challenge which is being hosted by the lovely Ruth. Ruth has chosen '3 of a kind' as the theme, here's what Ruth has to say:

What we'd like to see is 3 of the same sort of focal element on a project so we don't just mean 3 buttons or small embellishments, it could be 3 flowers, 3 figures, 3 inspirational quotes?.....or thinking wider, if you're feeling adventurous you could do 3 atc's, a trio of ATB's or maybe a Triptych. Plenty of scope we hope to make a mixed media project of your choice as long as it includes some stencilling or stamping or both and don't forget to check out the challenge rules on the tab at the top of the page.

 So, this did have me scratching my head for a while deciding what to do 3 of ! This is quite a long post so I hope you're sitting comfortably !


 I decided to get started on the background and I would decide what my 3 things would be as I went along. I used a piece of grey board and painted it with Blue Oyster Fresco Finish paint. Then I started to stencil, using Chalk Fresco Finish paint and Lin Brown stencils. I gave it a wash of watered down Chalk and used a baby wipe to blend it over the whole panel.



 I then added some stamping using Chalk Fresco Finish paint, grouping it around the stencilling.


 On the next layer I started to add in some colour and used one of the new Lin Brown stencils for the flower, and the vine is  one of the new JOFY stencils. I stencilled the vine first of all using a mix of China and Limelight Fresco Finish paint, then I moved the stencil slightly and stencilled over it with Chalk Fresco Finish to create a shadow. This then allowed me to use Limelight and Hey Pesto, which are translucent colours over the top.


Leaf Green Archival ink works really well with these colours of Fresco Finish paints and I used a Sara Naumann script stamp to add some stamping around the edges where it would be seen ( I now have a plan for my 3 things! )


 So, for my 3 things to include I decided on 3 grey board tags. I used the grey board that's covered with white card and used a manilla tag to get the corners all the same. I then taped them together across the back and used the same process as the larger piece of grey board of painting, stencilling and washing with Fresco Finish paint.


 I used a JOFY stamp for the border, this stamp is great as you can repeat the stamping really easily without the join showing ! I painted it using Limelight, Hey Pesto and Blue Glass Fresco Finish. I also added some script stamping using Leaf Green Archival ink.



 Here is the finished piece. I decided the background was too strong so I did another coat of watered down Chalk Fresco Finish to knock it back a little. I used JOFY stamps to decorate each tag and painted the flowers with the new Fresco Finish bright blues.



I stamped the largest flower on to a piece of Canson watercolour paper and then painted it using Fresco Finish paints.



 The small chipboard flower has been covered with dictionary paper then stamped with a JOFY stamp and painted with Fresco Finish paints.


 The sentiment on the centre tag is also a JOFY stamp from one of the new releases, I love using French stamps ! I've painted the letters using Limelight and Blue Glass Fresco Finish paints, I love these two colours together ! The butterfly is also a chipboard shape that corresponds to one of the new JOFY stamps, I also painted this with Limelight and Blue Glass.


The final tag has JOFY flowers again on it and the word is also from one of the new JOFY sets. I've used Blue Glass around the edges of all 3 tags to frame them and added a little watered down Limelight across the bottom. 


One final shot to show you how the piece looks in it's entirety ! Well done if you've stuck it out this far ! I had a ball with this project, and if you'd like to see it in person I will have it with me on Saturday 9th May at the Happy Stampers event in Port Sunlight where I'll be demonstrating on the PaperArtsy stand ! Do say hello if you're there ! 

The rest of the DT have worked their magic so do make sure you hop over to the Stamps and Stencils blog.


17 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely stunning Sue
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sue, I love that JOFY vine stencil, I wouldn't have wanted to cover that up.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colors just drew me to your page and I am glad I did! This is just fantastic Sue, I almost thought that was fabric you were working on! You managed to do a great piece with limited color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fabulous background Sue and the vine is just stunning. The three tags are beautiful and I love the colour palette, wonderful details. Have fun at Port Sunlight

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is absolutely stunning Sue - i adore it all - the colours, stamps and layout - absolutely fabulous! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just beautiful ! Hoping to be at Port Sunny on Saturday, some more paints were already on my list, now it need stencils and stamps too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sue, this is incredible! Both of your backgrounds are so amazing, I love the multi-coloured stencil work!! The three tag idea is genius and I'm now heading on a search for those JOFY stamps because they are so pretty! Love that bright blue, stunning! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most awesome! LOVE the color, love how you mounted the tags!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is stunning. I love the colours palette and the tags showcase the stencil work and stamps beautifully. You get the most incredible shading when you stencil - it looks like you have been painting with a brush.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! Sue So much detail ! Love how you are able to create tone n dimension with your stencilling . Such lush colours n excellent composition !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful Sue, awesome combinations of stamps and stencils.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a show stopper Sue....stunning work, you've worked your stencil magic again, can't wait to see at the show, hope you might be demoing stencilling! ooh and just love the wash of white to knock it back, perfect. Pinning this! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, and here's another... WOW!!! I love JoFY stamps and the quirky style and you really bring them to life Sue. I adore what you've done, so inspirational xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW this is stunning! I love the design and gorgeous stamps and stencils. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Sue - what a glorious layered tag triptych. As you can imagine, the colours absolutely won my heart, and your wonderful way with layering and shading makes this an absolute showstopper. Just fabulous! I know I must have missed many wonders - been absent so long... I'm off for a browse of what else you've been up to.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!